Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

My Camera is Broken

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: My Camera is Broken

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 20, 2012 8:08 pm

My recommendation to the casual user of a camera is to purchase what is known as a Bridge camera, also known as a super-zoom. They fill a place between a simple pocket-able point & shoot & a digital SLR. If & when one might find this camera limiting, that is another big question but I suspect it will serve most folks quite well.

Here is a link for you to explore.

http://www.digitalversus.com/digital-camera/buyer-s-guide-best-bridge-cameras-a1343.html
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby CdnChelsea » Nov 21, 2012 9:50 am

This afternoon I am going to The Source to look at cameras. My daughter works there part-time so I will get a discount and she said there are some good cameras on sale right now.

I will write down which ones I am interested in and maybe you all can help me figure out which one will be the best one.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby CdnChelsea » Nov 21, 2012 9:58 am

Thank you Ron for the website. It certainly is very informative. I'm sure the website and your vast information on cameras will help me figure out which one to buy.

: )

CdnChelsea

Postby bluewillow » Nov 21, 2012 11:38 am

Black Friday and Cyber Monday might have some good bargains too.

If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby CdnChelsea » Nov 21, 2012 12:08 pm

I thought *Black Friday* happened only in the U.S.???

Well duh, what do I know? Obviously, not much....lol

Cyber Monday? Never heard of that either. Might be worth asking The Source if they do Cyber Monday and Black Friday. Hey, I might get a great deal!!

Thank you, Bluewillow

: )
CdnChelsea

Postby bluewillow » Nov 21, 2012 12:18 pm

It's catching on in Canada it seems Chelsea. you might find some more info online. I believe Cyber Monday one can order items online. Perhaps someone on CG knows more on this subject.

Good luck with the digi search.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Scrapinthehat » Nov 21, 2012 12:53 pm

I "bought" a Cannon T1i a couple of years ago with Air Miles. I got a few cameras this way. It is a SLR. I haven't learned how to use all the manual adjustments on it, other than changing out the lenses, however it takes great point and shoot pics while on "auto" setting and I have the option of having and learning the more advanced features any time. I believe the new T4i's are around $900, but you could probably find an older model for much cheaper or, as mentioned, use Air Miles to "purchase" a new one.

Nikon also makes VERY good cameras, some would argue they are better than Cannon. Can't really go wrong with either one, but personally I wouldn't buy anything else. You will get good optics with these two options.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 21, 2012 1:34 pm

When you have a short list of potential buys, I suggest you check out the reviews of each. One of the best sites for impartial reviews is linked here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

I would not limit my choices to Canon & Nikon as often the Panasonic bridge cameras are top rated. I shoot with Panasonic & Olympus Micro Four Third (m4/3) cameras as well as my much older Canon bridge camera. m4/3 cameras are compact cameras with interchangeable lenses, bridge cameras have a single fixed zoom lens.
Ron.

Ron Evers

Postby CdnChelsea » Nov 21, 2012 3:47 pm

I just got back from The Source. The salesperson was helpful but couldn't answer the questions I was asking.

Lots of sales going on. The Source does do Black Friday. The Black Friday sales starts on Thursday. lol
The also do Cyber Monday but only on-line purchases.

I need a nice camera that will allow me to take clear, crisp pictures that can be blown up, framed and hung on the wall.

I only have $250-$300 to spend.

Here is The Sources' website if anyone would like to take a look:

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/category ... camcorders

I was kinda looking at this one:

camera.gif
camera.gif (3.99 KiB) Viewed 1859 times

Nikon Coolpix L810

CdnChelsea

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 21, 2012 4:34 pm

CdnChelsea wrote:
I just got back from The Source. The salesperson was helpful but couldn't answer the questions I was asking.

I was kinda looking at this one:

camera.gif

Nikon Coolpix L810

I have found most sales persons @ the source not to be very knowledgeable about their products.

You can check out several reviews of the L810 @ this link:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=nikon+co ... =firefox-a
Ron.

Ron Evers

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence