Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

My Camera is Broken

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: My Camera is Broken

Postby davefrombc » Nov 21, 2012 6:04 pm

When you do decide on a camera, check the prices in other outlets too. I don't know about "The Source" in your city, but they are usually the most expensive place to buy anything here.
The Coolpix L 810 has a so-so review by the pros, but from what I could see it offers a decent camera for the use you mentioned.. That long zoom could come in handy for you; and I think the camera would make a good one for you .. It is bulkier than some comparable ones, the uses of 4 AA batteries is responsible for part of that bulk. I do like the use of rechargeable AA's over proprietary lithium batteries though.. They are inexpensive to buy, easy to recharge, and available anywhere. In a pinch you can use brand new alkalines for a few shots , but they are no good for regular use. Alkalines will show discharged in the camera after only a few shots , when actually they have almost full capacity left .. They are not capable of delivering the full voltage and current rating over their life that Nimh rechargeable batteries do.

Check out other similar cameras before settling on that one , and do do a price comparison between stores before buying at "The Source"
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby bluewillow » Nov 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Some stores will "match" a sale price from another, Chelsea.

If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby CdnChelsea » Nov 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Dave, I checked out a few other stores and was amazed at the price differences. Thank you for the information about batteries. I didn't know different types of batteries would make a difference. Now I know, thanks to you. You da best ! : )

Excellent idea about price-matching. I will remember that. Thank you Bluewillow.

Years ago, I had an old manual SLR camera and I loved it. I even took a course on how to use it. An SLR camera is what I want, but I am open to suggestions since technology has come a long way.

After looking around, I think I am going to take my time buying a camera. I want a good one so maybe if I save some more money, I can get exactly what I want. It seems there is nothing in my price range right now that gives me what I want.

*sigh*

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 21, 2012 8:58 pm

CdnChelsea wrote:

After looking around, I think I am going to take my time buying a camera. I want a good one so maybe if I save some more money, I can get exactly what I want. It seems there is nothing in my price range right now that gives me what I want.

*sigh*

If you buy a camera with interchangeable lenses but never buy or use other than the kit lens you are wasting your money. That is why I recommend a bridge camera to the average consumer who wants more than a simple point & shoot.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby bluewillow » Nov 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Just came across this re. Canon

http://canonfeatures.ca/holiday-sales-event
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby davefrombc » Nov 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Canon sets the regular price and sales prices on their cameras.. of course it is only "suggested " prices .. but all Canon authorized dealers use the "suggested " prices .. There will be regular deals on the Canon line through the holidays up to and including Boxing Day . No need to hurry to buy on a "Black Friday" deal.
davefrombc

Postby CdnChelsea » Nov 23, 2012 7:01 pm

A Black Friday special at Staples

Canon EOS Rebel T3 for $399.

It's an entry level SLR.

Should I get it?

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... xedcode=WW

CdnChelsea

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 23, 2012 7:43 pm

CdnChelsea wrote:
A Black Friday special at Staples

Canon EOS Rebel T3 for $399.

It's an entry level SLR.

Should I get it?

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... xedcode=WW

Check the reviews before you commit, here is one:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras ... 99647.html

Unless you plan to purchase additional lenses for a dSLR I recommend a bridge camera/super zoom that provides a single lens that goes from wide angle to telephoto. These cameras are great value for money for the average consumer.

Here is another link for you to explore:

http://www.dslrtips.com/buyers_guide/su ... mera.shtml
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby CdnChelsea » Nov 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Well.............I bought the Canon EOS Rebel T3. Actually, my dh and I split the cost...what a nice guy. He said he would pay half as an early Christmas present.
Sounds good to me : )

Now I need to read the manual to figure out how to use it....lol

I'm so excited!
CdnChelsea

Postby davefrombc » Nov 23, 2012 10:02 pm

I think you'll enjoy your new camera. There are often good deals on accessory lenses come up for it occasionally .. Most of the new ones have some form of image stabilization built in to help eliminate some of the shakes, but even the older models work well at moderate shutter speeds, especially if the camera is tripod mounted or otherwise stabilized.
Enjoy your camera , and have fun reading that manual .
davefrombc

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence