Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

21 November

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

21 November

Postby B_BQ » Nov 21, 2012 8:30 pm

A good productive day here today. Unfortunately most of the time was spent in the office trying to get all the work done before we take off, (again), for a week in Antigua this weekend.
We're also keeping tabs on how our daughter, (Skwij), is doing in a very competitive curling tournament taking place in Scarborough. She and her three teammates are representing Ontario in the Canada-wide tournament. So far so good. She's 4 and 0, and at the top of the heap, so far!
I took some Roma tomatoes, (frozen in Fall), from the freezer and made a tomato sauce, with fresh basil, and fresh parsley picked from the garden today! How about that!!
Served with meatballs, Tagliatelle pasta and freshly grated Parmesan. My husband said it was excellent!
~BBQ
IMG_3250.jpg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: 21 November

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Go Skwij, GO!

wore myself to the NUB today, cleaning house...chasing after and cleaning up from a sick doggie (Lily) and discovering that when you take a hanging basket with chains to hang it, and fill it with cedar boughs, there's no way to get those chains up into a hanging position. Why didn't I think of this?

So, hung another, filled it, and all set, till the winds come in again. The sun shone today...thank Dog.

Tomorrow is a Sleepie Day. I''ll be lucky to make it to the bathroom.

The NEXT DAY...pray for me. My Christmas gift to youngest daughter's family, is 100 decorated Christmas tree cut out Sugar Cookies. Has been years since I have had a decorating spree and I hope I am up for it. Have had a bag of a time trying to find Christmas tree cookie cutters in this little town...I have three of my own, and despite posters at Library and Seniors, no luck at all.

No luck at all with the fancy decorative sugars either...but I do have lots of food colouring, can do different stuffs with it, and do have the ordinary "glitter" crushed candies, etc. Cannot work when tired...I make messes.

We have a regulation in our family with Daughter Three, should be make it yourself, from the kitchen or from Nature. Am sending belovedest grandson shells and beach sand collected by a friend on a South American cruise...all labelled.Hope to inspire him!

My gift to Daughter Two is a whole lot of fill in stuffs for her Christmas Village...she caught the bug from me, and she is rarin' to go! It is NEVER competition in our family, it is inspire, spur one another onwards.

The SUN came out today, all day...Lily was indisposed ALL day..hectic here.

The SNOW has been cancelled.

Liz
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby B_BQ » Nov 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Had to laugh at your hanging basket story Liz.
I used to always make my own hanging baskets, filled with as many small plants as I could get in. One year I made some especially large ones, probably about 2 feet across - monsters! I was so excited. Lined them with sphagnum moss, filled with good humus/soil, many many small plants, and watered them! Then I asked DH to hang them up!!! He couldn't even lift them!! It took three of us to manoeuvre each one into place. Very kindly he suggested that next time NOT to water them before hanging!

With permission, our daughter Caroline, (Skwij), throwing a rock in the Dominion Curling Championships. She's the Skip.
~BBQ
photo.jpeg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lulu » Nov 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Go, Skwij, go!
Lulu

Postby orchidguy » Nov 21, 2012 11:47 pm

It was leftover night, so finished off some linguine, and steamed the rest of the clams for on top. Had a simple green salad, and some chipotle green beans. Dessert was the rest of the honeydew melon and grapes
orchidguy

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 22, 2012 12:30 am

Mac and cheese, God bless the Dear Man.

BBQ, I have potted plants gasping for a drink before he gets them into the garage (I'm talking bulb planting here)...but I am SO familiar with the well-watered baskets, boxes...I had to laugh at your description. A hernia in every pot!

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/nov/18/ ... es-budgets

The link is to the UK Guardian and obviously, rising food prices and what to do, what to do. Methinks, learn to cook...learn to shop, and learn to say NO to those who think Dinner Tonight had better be something seen on tv. And I don't and I do mean, expensive takeout as well. prices gonna rise in Canada, as well.

Hope Skwij knows we are all pullling for her!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby bluewillow » Nov 22, 2012 11:06 am

Brenda, I was just wondering about Caroline and curling. Congratulations to C. and her Team. I wish them well.

Wishing you a warm and sunny safe trip to the Island. Our weather is about to turn and timing couldn't be better for such a trip.

My son is off to Ethiopia on Thursday. He does vacation in some of the strangest places. He will be back Christmas Eve hopefully safe and sound.

sheila
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Big Smile » Nov 23, 2012 6:02 am

Brenda that meal looks really good. Wew have been touring in Vietnam this past week and I am getting sick of rice, rice and more rice and some other foods too. However our buffet breakfasts are excellent!! Vietnam is beautiful with very nice modern hotels. Today we flew to Singapore and were told we will have an "Asian"buffet dinner this evening. Will see what that is like. I look forward to the Orchid Gardens that we will visit tomorrow. There are 17 people in our tour group , its been a wonderful week,,,,so much to learn.
Its Friday 6 pm here. we are 13 hours ahead.
Enjoy your week in the sunny south!! We will be home Monday.

Clara
Big Smile

Postby B_BQ » Nov 23, 2012 8:40 am

Hi Clara:

Thanks for popping in and commenting from your exotic location on the other side of the world! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Our next-door-neighbour did Cambodia/Vietnam the year before last. She also went with a group. She was away for five weeks. She too enjoyed it very much and said the food was spectacular.

An update on Caroline, (Skwij): Last night she won another game. She and her team came out on top of the standings after the round robin - 6 wins 0 losses.

Today and tomorrow will be the semis and finals. We're hoping she makes is to the final on Saturday and will head off into TO very early in the morning in order to catch some of the game. We'll stay in TO overnight and fly out of Antigua on Sunday morning.

In the meantime today is panic day for me. Last minute errands, hair and nails, washing, drying, ironing, and packing. I keep telling myself that for just a week I won't need much; now if I can just do what my brain tells me to do!

I'm off to get started now that I've got my first strong cup of coffee poured!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lulu » Nov 23, 2012 11:07 am

Sounds like an awesome trip, Clara,,enjoy, and take lots of pictures!

Brenda, enjoy your trip to Antigua,,you'll be able to sit back and relax for a while.

Good luck, Skwij, on the next rounds of curling!
Lulu

Return to Over the Garden Fence