Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Quarry, dropped!!!!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Quarry, dropped!!!!

Postby bluewillow » Nov 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Good news for those concerned about the quarry!

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article ... rin-county

sheila
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Re: Quarry, dropped!!!!

Postby CdnChelsea » Nov 21, 2012 3:52 pm

I heard about that on the news about 1/2 hour ago when I was coming back from camera shopping.

Great news!

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby lindamct2010 » Nov 21, 2012 4:44 pm

Good to learn!
lindamct2010

Postby orchidguy » Nov 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Great News!

I hope they utilize that farmland for Ontario grown produce
orchidguy

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 21, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm grateful, Blue!

Now...the pipe line out here, please.

There has got to be better ways to get jobs and money into our Canadian economy.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Heidi S » Nov 22, 2012 5:10 pm

Liz, I completely agree!

As someone who lives within 25 km of the proposed Northern Gateway - I do NOT want that disaster-in-waiting to show up here. The few construction jobs are not worth the lifetime of potential spills, leaky tankers and permanently destroyed land.

With the recent earthquake as a reminder, there is no way they can make this safe - if they even had a plan, which they say they can't develop until it is approved! Sure, I really like that idea - we'll tell you how we will react to an emergency once we have one - NO! NO? NO!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby kelly_m » Nov 23, 2012 8:16 pm

Dan.....the area in question is farmland....but not much in the way of cash crops....very hilly and rocky. Mostly cattle.

The trick around here it seems is to allow the natives to have their say....it was their land to start with....

First the Dump then the Quarry.....next the pipeline!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 23, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi Kelly_mac, not just the land, but recent earthquakes, and a container ship ran aground....and I sure cannot get enthused about viable farmland either.

Maybe Mother Nature is trying to tell us to start thinking in completely different directions?

Watched a few minutes of CNN today, Bill Nyes the Science Guy and someone else, doing their best to talk about climate change, and the female commentator making faces and obviously very much against any consideration that isn't Big Oil. It's as tho we are talking about taking folks back to the Dark Ages...

Nyes was talking about big cities getting wiring etc. underground...the money that is spent, the hardships folks go thru in a hurricane, flood waters...and it's only 5 years since the last biggie in Louisiana etc...now Sandy. That money could have been better spent. Small town folks don't have to worry, unless of course they are affected by the big power grids...we lost power here for a 3 hour time slot, when power went down somewhere on Vancouver Island...WE are a conduit for power, for crying out loud.

In other news, I learned that I'm in the minority here...heating with oil. Gas isn't that big either...a lot of folks use electricity, and a lot use wood...small communities with big wind storms CAN use wood. Till the wood runs out..........
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Return to Over the Garden Fence