Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

My Camera is Broken

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: My Camera is Broken

Postby CdnChelsea » Nov 23, 2012 10:59 pm

Dave, my eyes are blurry now from reading the manual for over an hour. Learned some stuff about the camera but still have many pages to go.

I would also like to thank Dave and Bluewillow and everyone else for helping me buy a camera. I'm sure I will be back asking a gazillion and one questions.

Ron, I book marked that site you gave me about DSLR tips. I know it will come in handy. Thank you.

: )

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Lulu » Nov 24, 2012 12:39 am

davefrombc wrote: Alkalines will show discharged in the camera after only a few shots , when actually they have almost full capacity left .. They are not capable of delivering the full voltage and current rating over their life that Nimh rechargeable batteries do.

Well, problem solved,,thank you, Dave!

I was wanting a new camera, because my two little point & shoot cameras kill batteries in warp speed! Who knew it was something that could be solved by rechargeable batteries!

Point & shoot good enough for me! Spent a ton of money on a good Cannon EOS Rebel years ago,,and hardly ever used it,,rather use my phone camera; it's always handy and takes good enough (for me) pictures! Use the point & shoot, on trips where I don't take my phone.
Lulu

Postby Ron Evers » Nov 24, 2012 10:49 am

Lulu wrote:
davefrombc wrote: Alkalines will show discharged in the camera after only a few shots , when actually they have almost full capacity left .. They are not capable of delivering the full voltage and current rating over their life that Nimh rechargeable batteries do.

Well, problem solved,,thank you, Dave!

I was wanting a new camera, because my two little point & shoot cameras kill batteries in warp speed! Who knew it was something that could be solved by rechargeable batteries!

Point & shoot good enough for me! Spent a ton of money on a good Cannon EOS Rebel years ago,,and hardly ever used it,,rather use my phone camera; it's always handy and takes good enough (for me) pictures! Use the point & shoot, on trips where I don't take my phone.

Lulu, if you are going to purchase rechargeable batteries, do yourself a favour & buy either Imedion or Eneloop batteries. They will be more expensive than regular Ni-MH but well worth the difference. Most rechargeables will discharge in storage but these types will hold the charge for a year or more. I have wasted money on the cheap ones & since getting the premium ones would never go back.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby davefrombc » Nov 24, 2012 11:53 am

Duracell and Ray o Vac also make low self discharge NiMh batteries. Look for Hybrid in the name "Ray o Vac Hybrid" NiMh or "Duracell Stay Charged". They are both LSD ( low self discharge ) batteries and less costly than the Eneloops .. I have no experience with the Imedions . The early Duracell hybrids were actually re-branded Eneloops, but now I'm told both Duracell and Ray O Vac get their hybrids from the same manufacturer in China.
The Duracell "Stay Charged" batteries carry a 3 year guarantee in storage.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby bluewillow » Nov 24, 2012 1:13 pm

I've learned from these postings and thank you all. Good luck with your lovely new digi toy, Chelsea. You will be posting great photos in only a few weeks.
I'm looking for a new camera as well but have not done my homework re. purchasing. The photos I took when in England in April were rather a disappointment.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Heidi S » Nov 24, 2012 3:41 pm

Whew! I am so glad that is settled for everyone!

Actually, we face a similar decision as our little Canon point and shoot digital is aging - bought it for our trip to Europe in 2007, and son's iphone has a better quality camera built in now. I don't think I will ever go the distance on a SLR, as I don't have the patience to learn more than just doing quick photos of something that amuses me, so point and shoot works well for me.

Problem is, our camera is still working and I can't really justify spending money on a new one, yet....

So many things I want, so little money!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Lulu » Nov 24, 2012 7:17 pm

Thanks, Ron & Dave,,for the advice to go for the better quality=more expensive ones, cuz I'd have bought the cheapest re-chargeables I could find, then be in the same boat, and scratching my noggin, wondering what's going on! Will print out the names of them all, and shop around some before buying.

Like I said, I use my camera phone for most stuff, and am very happy with the picture quality; the point & shoot goes on vacation.
Lulu

Postby Scrapinthehat » Nov 25, 2012 10:57 pm

CdnChelsea... I saw that same ad and was thinking of you!! I'm so glad you got it. Great deal. As mentioned, I have the T1i and do not regret it even though I don't use all the functions...yet... I have bookmarked that site by Dave as well! Being a scrapbooker, picture quality is very important to me, especially if I ever try to get anything published (not sure...put this on a bucket list eons ago and kind of forgot about it with everything else going on). That aside, pictures of my kids, flowers, trips (I took about 1500 pics on my last trip), furbaby, etc can never be "too good". I have every picture on the computer hard drive, an external hard drive (in a safe), and on DVDs (in a safe) since they are irreplaceable. As mentioned, the auto function allows for great point and shot ability till you figure out all the manuals adjustments.

Enjoy your new camera!
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby davefrombc » Nov 26, 2012 12:52 am

Ron deserves the thanks for posting up the camera sites.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby bluewillow » Nov 26, 2012 10:26 am

Thank you Ron & Dave. I will be checking out those sites Ron and thanks to both for the info on batteries. I see that I am using rechargeable Energizer 2500 mAh. Presume these are perhaps not the best.

Thanks again Ron & Dave. I have learned a lot but not quite into the high end digi. Only a good point & shoot or perhaps a bridge but will have to gain my courage.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence