Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Square peg in a round hole.....

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Square peg in a round hole.....

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Nov 22, 2012 11:26 pm

I thot I had posted this earlier today but Myrt called me to lunch & I guess I clicked on preview instead of post. Oh well....anyhow my earlier post concerning a "go around" on photobucket demonstrated to me that I really do not fit too well in today's environment. I can't help think that things were better in the mid 1960's than they are today. TV was not so jammed with ads that I no longer watch it. Stoves had two outlets for plugging in appliances. Now no outlets unless you pay another $50 bucks per outlet. Clothes dryers that did not roll sheets into wet logs. An oil & filter change without a mandatory other services that you do not need plus the fact that you could often put 100,000 MILES on a new car before encountering additional repair work. In those days the City did not mandate that you had to scrape the snow off down to bare cement while their own contractors do not do so on those sidewalks that the city is responsible for. Have you tried to buy a decent coffee mug lately that does not cost an arm & a leg ? Or an electric frying pan ? Or a steam iron that does not weigh a ton ? Or a computer that actually works the way it should ? Thank goodness my power equipment in my shop are all approaching antique status & still functioning as well as new.Bought my wood lathe when I was 14 yrs old with paper delivery money 67 yrs ago.
Power saw 54 yrs ago. And on and on. Importers are filling the country up with junk.
I wish I were too young to realize it. Ignorance is bliss.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Re: Square peg in a round hole.....

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Old old marble board did a great job for rolling out Christmas cookies today...old old pans with parchment paper did a decent job of baking and not dark-browning. Old washer and dryer (no fancy anythings) continue to do a really good job...20 years old is all. PLUS, he dropped the dryer when we moved here. (and the stove.)

Gas costs us approx 10 cents more a litre than it does the rest of you guys. Our heating oil company sent us a $50 gift certificate to use against oil purchases...nice of them!) and apparently only 8% of Riverites use oil to heat their homes...far more people use wood! Less folks use gas, and slightly more use electricity. When I take pups out of an evening and in early morning, the smell of woodsmoke is everywhere...the GOOD wood is a delight, if only everyone used it! Has been SOI rainy tho, unless they had it covered it's soaked.

Christmas lighting is appearing everywhere...a house here, a house there...so Lovely!

It's GOT to snow here...I only got 10 year's worth out of my red vinyl winter ELF boots, and my big puffy winter jacket!

Do you know if scooter batteries drain if it sits for over a week without driving? it did go to minus 1 last night...it is covered with a too-big bbq cover, and tucked under the back porch. I'm skeert of getting Out There and fizzling to a dead stop. IF I remember how to use the cell phone, and take it with me, AND husband is home (only phone number I know! I don't use the phone.) he will have to come rescue me with the OLD pickup truck and a couple of 8 ft boards to somehow get it into the truck and home to the battery charger. Likely will take both of us to push it up the boards-ramp! I just LOVE conveniences, don't you?
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Nov 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi Liz: The parchment paper to prevent browning makes me smile. Myrt used to like to bake WHITE christmas cake so she had me make a baking pan out of wood & she would bake her cake in that. Worked pretty good. Guy I worked with at the time used to be a baker & provided me with the tip re wood baking pan. See.....old guys like me remember a lot of stuff. Helps to keep the mind cluttered. :lol:

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 26, 2012 10:19 pm

That would be terrific, Lee!

I have used a pottery flower pot...but never wood.

(chicken livers and onions, and cabbage/new potatoes for supper tonight Mmm-mmmh!)
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Return to Over the Garden Fence