Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Huge Surprise This Morning (not a good one)

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Huge Surprise This Morning (not a good one)

Postby Hot Rodder » Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here and yes I'm also in hot rods. In fact, I run a Canadian Hot Rod Forum.

So, about my surprise: I was leaving my driveway this morning and glanced in my side mirror as I was pulling away. I thought I saw some debris on lawn so I stopped and got out of my vehicle. I walked to the location and found a huge area that had been ravaged overnight by animals (skunks/racoons?).

Given the date (time of year), I was shocked although virtually nothing shocks me anymore about my lawn as I have had constant insect issues. However, in December?! :cry:

I'm in Markham Ontario btw.

What do you think is up?

All the best.......Frank
Hot Rodder

Re: Huge Surprise This Morning (not a good one)

Postby davefrombc » Dec 03, 2012 9:12 pm

It is likely you had raccoons , or possibly crows digging grubs out of your lawn. Those are the two often most common, but there are also other birds and animals that also do that .. Skunks and raccoons are the most common animal culprits .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Hot Rodder » Dec 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Dave, I see you're in BC. My surprise comes from the fact that, by now, grubs should be long inactive here. Usually by October, insect activity is over.

Has anyway else seen this in Ontario?

Thanks.
Hot Rodder

Postby Lulu » Dec 03, 2012 11:23 pm

My thought would be moles/voles or gophers! Sorry,,can't be more specific, especially since I had huge damage done to my lawn last spring, but I suspect it was done, under the snow, thru the winter, and did not spot any critters at or near the site.

I'm further north than you, and we've had two very mild days during which I've seen squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits all scurrying around in my yard, when I presumed they were gone for the winter.

Without seeing pictures of the damage, it's difficult to pinpoint the perpetrator that did it. Also, it is extremely difficult to see or catch them in the act. Other than a live trap, don't know what you can do to get them to move on.

Dan had a gopher family, so, maybe he can weigh in to give you some advice, if you come to the conclusion it was a gopher.

This website, from The University of Minnesota Extension Services provides a list of diggers and the characteristics of their work:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgar ... gging.html

Good luck, and let us know if you see the digger!
Lulu

Postby Hot Rodder » Dec 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Lulu, I'm almost certain this is skunk or racoon (didn't see them) but I've seen their damage before - turf torn up to look for stuff below. Definitely not moles.

Also, it's identical to other turf damage I've had much earlier in the year when they look for grub larvae.

Again, I'm astonished to see this in December though.
Hot Rodder

Postby orchidguy » Dec 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Without seeing the actual damage, kind of hard to assess, but it could be moles, voles. groundhogs,chipmunks, squirrels, skunks, raccoons,birds, or many other omnivorous creatures.
As far as getting rid of them, I'm probably the last person you should be asking...lol
I kind of share this property with the animals that belong here, and never do anything to get rid of them (except chipmunks, who I battle every year, when it comes to the tulip bulbs, so I make sure there is enough food for them, so the'll leave the tulips alone)
Hope you find out what has done the damage Hot Rodder, and hope that you find a way to stop it.
Good Luck
orchidguy

Postby kelly_m » Dec 04, 2012 11:15 am

With our mild fall, there is still the possibility that the darn grubs are still active....Ground temps are still above zero....they best way to find out is to dig up in different areas...see if you find grubs.

Even if the the grubs are inactive too, the skunks and raccoons still have acess to them since theground is not frozen.

Unfortunately there is really nothing you can do though till the spring.

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby fernleaf » Dec 04, 2012 11:52 am

Trying to post reply to Dan's comments but after two tries my post doesn't show up. Does this one?
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me: I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." Albert Camus
fernleaf

Postby davefrombc » Dec 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Nope .. We don't see it :twisted: :lol:
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby fernleaf » Dec 04, 2012 12:51 pm

davefrombc wrote:Nope .. We don't see it :twisted: :lol:

Nor do I see it but, then again, I didn't see the Nude Santa in otnorot's post either. However, my belief in Santa has not been shattered - he doesn't exist - hogwash - sure he does - naked or not!!!
:roll:
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me: I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." Albert Camus
fernleaf

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence