Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Hamish had company this afternoon.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Hamish had company this afternoon.

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 05, 2012 7:50 pm

We had to count the mousies when Braveheart left! (Hamish has 6 mousies in his bed.
Attachments
Mousies galore.jpg
Mousies galore.jpg (30.91 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
Mousies galore 2.jpg
Mousies galore 2.jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: Hamish had company this afternoon.

Postby Laura » Dec 05, 2012 9:20 pm

LOL .... they certainly look interested in something.

Real mousies or catnip mousies ?
Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 05, 2012 11:02 pm

As real as a cat's imagination can make them, Laura!

catnip, just plain stuffed wooly, pipe cleaner, squeakys.

Lily is MOST interested in the stuffed one that squeaks when it is shaken...she would do anything to get into that cat wicker bed, but she has learned boundaries. It is cute seeing her sitting up and begging him to give her the squeaky mousie.

If you have seen Shrek 4, Ever After, that's what Hamish looks like now...a very plump orange cat/Antionio Banderas. A well, gravity gets us all, in the end!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Heidi S » Dec 06, 2012 1:01 am

This big softy loves a good warm fire, when he's not singing and yodelling at one of my old ponytail elastic bands that he chases around the basement level of our house - last night he started up at midnight, and he can sing with all his heart!

Now if I rub his scratching post with a little bit of herb of the mint variety, and he goes completely whacked! It is too funny seeing him make love to that post.

Luc enjoying the fireplace.jpg
Luc, roasting by the fire! MMM, toasted kitty!

Now Charlie, our young grey cat, is just looney all the time. He yodels at 2 or 3 am to be let out the door even at -20; he is an outdoor cat through and through, and he will not let anyone rest if he wants out the door! or else. He will even knock stuff off bedside tables, dressers and shelves to get your attention if he thinks you are not responding quickly enough.... I hope he mellows in his older years - he's just 3 now.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Heidi S » Dec 06, 2012 1:26 am

Oh, and before I get yelled at for letting my cat out of doors, I will tell you that we have been unable to keep this guy in the house, since the day we got him from the SPCA. He is channeling Houdini, I swear. I know he is at risk of being eaten by a fox, coyote, bear or maybe even a moose, which all reside in our neighbourhood. Luc, goes to the yard, and skulks in the shrubbery, but he is very careful to be back inside before the doors close, and in winter, not a chance!

This cat has already survived being shot in his first year, by a lunatic neighbour, and he is completely fearless - I have never seen anything like my dearest Charlie. I am definitely in his household staff, and he deigns to give me cuddles when he is ready.

Mr. Charles.jpg

My son calls him my little grey panther!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby Heidi S » Dec 06, 2012 1:32 am

Cripes, we have a gate crasher! Like we give a Rats *zz about Heathrow airport, for pity sakes!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 06, 2012 1:37 am

More fun than a barrel full of monkeys!

I have found that rubbing something special from the mint family causes drools and a very spacey look to two very bright eyes!

alas, no lovely fire burning for cats to relish, but when I crank the elect. blankey up to three, I am very popular.

Three is young...the more attention you pay to his antics, the more he will be a delight...and it goes for all the years they get, believe me, I know!

Aren't we blessed?

Hamish firmly believes he shouyld be free to cone and go as he pleases outdoors...and he has a Grand Passion for a tri colour Siamese named Lily who lives two doors down and is Hell on Wheels with any human but her own. Hamish sees no reason why he isn't set free to be a CATm and gets rather bitter about a red collar and a very large green bell on it. He promises, promises, promises, and they are not worth the sand they are scratched in. Take your eyes off, and he's gone...and I walk the mean streets, calling, calling.

the man two doors away just snickers when I say he has raised a temptress...she has him wound around her little toe.

Lately Hamish has become very aware of tiny birds around the Nyger seed feeder and when he oversteps his bounds, is considerably p'd off to be called indoors...but he comes, bless him, he comes.

I am thinking of getting him a stout tree branch for Christmas...floor to ceiling, in the kitchen...lots of bark for me to clean up.

^^^^^^

Say WHAt? Heathrow? hell no, we won't go!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Heidi S » Dec 06, 2012 1:54 am

Speaking of Sir Charles, he has just settled on my lap, so my laptop is now on my chest!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby Heidi S » Dec 06, 2012 2:15 am

Liz, we have had at least one cat since we have been married; coming up on 25 years nowl Barney was our first, moving in before our actual wedding in 1988, then Clara joined us 4 years later. Our son, Colin joined the clan a year after Clara (1993), much to the cats' surprise!

Then we moved way up north and eventually got our first dog, black lab, Kira in '98. When Barney passed on at age 16, Colin needed his own cat, and we got Luc, named after his grade 4 teacher. Then Kira died suddenly of cancer a week after her 8th birthday, and Clara followed her a couple of years later, aged 17. Eventually we picked up our current dog, Molly, a mini labradoodle in 2007 and cat Charlie in 2009.

Since we couldn't have any more kids, we have always needed multiple pets to make up for our shortfall in the kid department. They are certainly easier than the resident 19 year old has been....
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 06, 2012 3:04 am

I remember a long ago in my own past...3 littlies of my own, 2 newborn foster infants, one a week old, 2 dogs, a pussy cat...and 6 yr old daughter found a bunny nest in the field and brought one home. Big cardboard box on my dresser, beside the infant's cradle...and folks dropping by to welcome new arrivals.

A woman said to me..."how can you? WHY do you?" and her husband said "thwarted maternal instinct."

I guess I wandered the streets long enough in my extreme youth!

Now, I dearly wish I had a massive stone fireplace, and huge logs burning away in it...pups and cats all curled up in front of, baking....me staring into flames, day dreaming.

Instead, I have a small fake woodstove, with electric "fire", flames licking. And a Lilybits STILL curled up on my bed, out for the count for over three hours now, and she's gonna be a devilskin when she wakes up. I have NO idea where Meeshie is...definitely NOT in the beautiful bed I knitted and felted for him...I think he thinks it is an object d'art...I can dust it, that's it. It MUST be there. On the sofa. He has ignored it since last Christmas when he opened his big parcel.

Had I given him the balls of wool, he would still be weaving intricate spider webs to amaze me, in the early mornings.

Tonight I am sorely missing the farm life...the old woodstove, the heaps of wood for it...all the cats, the dogs...the crisp cold smell of snow...and more snow to come...and old fat yellow Lab lady carrying one egg carefully up to the back door, where she would drop it KER SPLAT on the stone doorstep, every time...and wag her tail, proudly. Jim out there looking like Abominable Snowman, snow covered as he snow blowed driveway and I watched from the window...making hot choccie for him to warm up with. Every building outlined with Christmas lights, every enormous tree somehow strung and lighted...folks slowing down on their way home to the nearby Sai Kuz rez. so the kiddies could see THEIR Disney-land, just for them.

Do you know I have some Osteospermum in a planter out in the open yard, on the verge of blooming? I have Iceberg roses blooming. My "freckles" clematis if in blossom....and I would trade it all for one more coyote SING in a New York Minute. The loveliest sound to fall asleep to.

And if I really plan to decorate 4 dozen sugar cookie Christmas trees tomorrow, I had better get to sleep now...even tho I feel energized as can be.

Night night Heidi...sleepy tight...don't let the bedbugs bite.

Liz
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Return to Over the Garden Fence