Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

New Christmas song.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

New Christmas song.

Postby otnorot » Dec 13, 2012 11:35 am

otnorot

Re: New Christmas song.

Postby Laura » Dec 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Funny how people got started on this kick of not saying Merry Christmas.Went in the hugh mall here and there is no christmas music and no decorations to speak of.I did notice they had a santa, maybe because they can charge for pictures.

I wonder if people protested enough if they would stop putting santa in the mall and cancel the santa clause parades.It's just silly.I respect people who have faiths and beliefs that differ from me but this "we don't want to offend anybody" thing has become too much.

Do people really get offended by the word christmas ? .... I don't get it.We are supposed to live in a free country but lets not have any of that "religious" stuff out where people might see it and get offended ..... Do you think that some people get offended when they see a menorah or see the word hanukkah.What is the problem really I wonder ? It offends me to hear people swear but does anyone care that it offends me .... NO.

If you looked hard enough you could fine someone who is offended my most anything you could name .... shall we just stop talking altogether and have no more communication of any kind ... you know just so we don't offend anyone.

Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 15, 2012 10:44 pm

No! and WRONG!

The local 7th Day Adventist church has got CROWDS of folks coming to see their enormous collection of nativity scenes, from ALL cultures. And you see ALL cultures coming to view and comment with pleasure.

We HAD a Santa Claus parade....not much by Toronto standards, but everyone involved did their utmost to bring Christmas.

And the town is lit up...many homes have gone all out with the lighting.

The symphony (yes, we have one, well known too) will be having some evenings of Christmas carols and music. We have had our Christmas Pantomime, this year is was "Dracula" ("what out BEHIND you!")

Yes, photos with Santa, and photos of pets with Santa. And if your best pet is your DUCK, well Santa mans up beautifully!

The Sally Ann folks are out of the awful winds inside the grocery stores, malls...and YES! You get wished a Very MERRY Christmas!

The various elementary schools have their Christmas pageants.

People...folks from many other countries moved to Canada, to experience Canada's customs...to become FULL Canadians.

It isn't the newcomers who are offended...it is our own native brand of spoilers...and I do NOT mean Canada's native population either.

Go ahead...put up your Menorah in blue lights, blow up your vinyl Frosty, cut out and paint your Nativity scene and put it in your front "yard"...and DO say "Merr4y Christmas" or "Happy Christmas" and SMILE at everybody you come across.

Tis the season to be jolly...remember?
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby otnorot » Dec 16, 2012 8:54 am

Liz I wish it was like that in Toronto,we have "happy holiday" in store windows the staff in the stores have been told NOT to say Merry Christmas and we have holiday trees.
Bill
otnorot

Postby davefrombc » Dec 16, 2012 12:02 pm

We have our " Happy Holidays" here too.. We also have " Happy Kwanzaa" and "Happy Chanukah", but the main greeting everywhere here is "Merry Christmas"..
Carrying "political correctness" to extremes is asinine.
Have a very happy holiday everyone ... and especially a very " Merry Christmas"
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 17, 2012 4:04 pm

Ho Ho Ho

I got SNOW!!!

and it's a clear day, I can see forever...and Vancouver Island mountains are COVERED, and snow is right down to the shoreline...they got much more than me, but I don't care...I don't even care that my roads are bare, that the lawn is patchy now (we got freezing rain after the snow)...the view from my windows is off various roofs (while I am sitting down here) and they are covered in Snow...beautiful Snow!

Which Lily is afraid of.

I'll leave it up to y'all to figure out just who is Merry and Bright this morning!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Return to Over the Garden Fence