Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Dan heres the Lalia blooms on division

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Dan heres the Lalia blooms on division

Postby otnorot » Dec 13, 2012 11:45 am

otnorot

Re: Dan heres the Lalia blooms on division

Postby orchidguy » Dec 13, 2012 12:38 pm

That is a real beauty Bill. Love the richness of it's gold colour. Does it have a scent Bill?
orchidguy

Postby otnorot » Dec 13, 2012 4:48 pm

I had smoked for 55 years so I have a problem detecting a fragrance.It flowered under fluorescent lights and they darken it down,I have another that is starting to bloom under natural light,I will post a picture when its in full bloom as its so much lighter.
Dan what type of Orchids do you have?
Bill
otnorot

Postby orchidguy » Dec 13, 2012 6:59 pm

Thank you for taking the time to post your photo's Bill, they are a sight to behold, and am looking forward to seeing more from you.
I've been growing orchids for many years, and have a series of connecting greenhouses, where 3 large and 5 small are dedicated to mainly orchids, so I grow many species and cultivars. Is strange, but I go through stages with the orchids, one time preferring the larger, more bold blooms like on the cattleya's, BLC's, BC's and even cymbidiums and phaius. At other times, I will prefer the smaller flowered species and miniatures, so have a varied assortment.I continue to order quite large quantities of them every year, so it is evergrowing.
I have posted about 20 pictures on here over the years, and of one or two of the greenhouses early in my membership on this forum, so they should be on here somewhere.
orchidguy

Postby otnorot » Dec 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Wow Dan you put me to shame with your greenhouses,I have a three tier plant stand and a 4 Ft table stand and a 22 Ft basement window and a 4 Ft Basement window.I haven't counted my Orchids lately and I have been giving them away to reputable people who I know will look after them.I'm 86 and the DW is after me to sell the house and move into an apartment,I'm not happy about it.
Bill
otnorot

Postby orchidguy » Dec 14, 2012 12:18 am

otnorot wrote:DW is after me to sell the house and move into an apartment,I'm not happy about it.

I dont think I would be too happy about that either Bill.
Everything here has been slowly "set up" to accommodate me as I get older. I've eliminated most of the grassy area's on the property that needs mowing, all the outdoor flower, shrub and vegetable beds have drip irrigation, as does all the plants in the greenhouses, so there will be less work needed as I get older.
On the bright side, when I lived in T.O. (St. Patrick St.) all my windows were filled with exotic plants and orchids, and they did quite well
orchidguy

Return to Plant Talk