Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Supper 13 December 2012

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Supper 13 December 2012

Postby B_BQ » Dec 13, 2012 8:07 pm

This will be of no interest to most of you, but I thought it might catch Dan's attention. I'm always interested in what he's growing and cooking, and I know that his culinary expertise is especially good when it comes to those countries in the far east, i.e. Phillipines, Thailand, Vietnam, etc.
Tonight I experimented a bit with a dish from Thailand - Paneng, (Panaeng). I didn't use beef or pork, but chicken thighs instead.
I didn't have fresh Kaffir lime leaves or fresh red chillies, but did have dried kaffir lime leaves and dried chillies, (from my own garden, which I dried).
I had everything else.
It was delicious. Not too healthy because of the full creamed coconut, but I reckoned once in a while is okay!

~BBQ

Chicken Panaeng:
IMG_3318.jpeg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Supper 13 December 2012

Postby orchidguy » Dec 13, 2012 8:27 pm

Very familiar with this, and an absolutely scrumptious dish. Yours looks terrific, and I much prefer this with chicken than beef, so is nice to see others that do that too.
Hmmm...Bay of Quinte you say.....could make it there in only a few short hours...lol

btw coconut cream contains no cholesteral, is very low in sodium, no sugar and high in manganese, so just because the fat content is a little high...it all balances out to kind of a healthy meal in the long-run
orchidguy

Postby Laura » Dec 13, 2012 9:57 pm

My that looks yummy .... after running errands tonight I let my husband have his way and have fish and fries from a box .... and he wonders why I only ate a couple of fries ... lol.

Laura

Postby bluewillow » Dec 14, 2012 11:39 am

Oh Brenda! Your dish looks simply delicious!

If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby B_BQ » Dec 14, 2012 12:35 pm

Thank you: Dan, Laura and Sheila.

This is definitely going on my 'go to' list. So simple and it ticks all the boxes for flavour.

My next foray is to a simple salmon recipe, similar sauce but not quite the same. I'm always looking for new ways to perk up salmon fillets. We try to eat fish at least twice a week.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Laura » Dec 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Ever try your salmon with maple glaze ? ... my hubby has a sweet tooth and likes it a lot.Just broil or bake the salmon and in the last few minutes baste with some maple syrup.You can mix the syrup with some brown sugar for a more intense taste but I just use the syrup alone.
Laura

Postby orchidguy » Dec 14, 2012 2:55 pm

Brenda,
a simple recipe (if you want to call it that) is if I am in a hurry and don't want to fiddle around the stovetop too long, I will wrap salmon in parchment then tinfoil and cover with a pesto sauce with added lime or lemon, a dollap of horseradish, tarragon, garlic, salt and pepper, a bit of maple syrup and cook for about 15 minutes at about 350.
Sometimes I will take liquid, that is left in the wrapping, put it in a pan, add a pat of butter, a little white wine and dill and reduce by about half, then add a bit of cream, or sour cream or creme fraiche or whatever is handy (have even used mayo) to finish, and makes a great sauce. You could add dijon to this if you like.
I usually serve this on a sorrel and watercress salad, and is actually quite tasty, and is a good marriage of flavours with oilier fish
orchidguy

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Dec 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Hey, Brenda...looks good.Have you ever made that Maple Salmon recipe from Allrecipes? It's pretty simple, but unless you like fish with a sweet-ish flavour, don't bother.

Hope everyone is doing fine. I'm on Maui right now.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby B_BQ » Dec 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Laura, Dan and Donna!

Dan, in my earlier days I would often cook fish en papillote, but haven't done so recently. It sure helps with the clearing up!

I will try the Maple glazed salmon, which I've been meaning to do for some time.
We, (I), don't generally like sweet sauces, but the maple syrup glazed salmon on Allrecipes sounds quite nice - maybe I'll cut down on the maple syrup and up the soy and add a touch of vinegar. I'll give this a go tomorrow.

Tonight it's going to be jerk chicken with rice, (leftover), and beans - it will bring our recent trip to Antigua a little closer!

Hi Donna. Good to 'see' you. Hope you're all enjoying your trip to Maui. We thought about going for our Feb/March break but didn't like the thought of the lengthy trip at this time. Maybe one of these days!

We enjoyed the Palm Springs area very much this year and are going back to the same general area in 2013 - this time for 6 weeks!

Nice 'talking' to you all.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 14, 2012 10:03 pm

I find the fresh farm Salmon we get here very rich so for a quick salmon supper I use the microwave,Put your portion of salmon in a micro wave dish add some lemon juice and some fresh dill on top...Cover with Saran and cook on high for about 2 minutes or less.Don't overcook it.That being said ,tonight I dined on fresh lobster tonight.My youngest daughter received three big fresh cooked lobsters from one of her kindergarten students whose father is a fisherman.She hates lobster and won't even have it in her kitchen so I was the lucky recipient of of said lobsters.I'll have one tomorrow nite and the other for Sunday lunch. I'm being selfish not sharing but I just think of all the lobster my son and DIL eat on their trips to Grand Manan. I wouldn't get treats like that in a nursing home.I was invited next door for Chinese food prepared by my world traveling granddaughter and her boy friend.I'm just a Maritime old girl and choose Lobster .Joy
agedgardener2

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence