Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Christmas....2012

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Christmas....2012

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Ask Santa for a bird I.D. book for Christmas!

I haven't any Redpolls, or House Finches or Purple Finches.

I AM thinking of doing some baking...4 and 20 blackbirds baked into a pie...Starlings tho, not Blackbirds...I have to toss half a large margarine bucket of seeds into the flower beds, and put the other half in the feeder...the Starlings go for the feeder and fight...eventually leave and then the little sparrows and chickadees can get what's left. The Stellers Jays at least toss half the seed on the ground as they search for sunflower seeds and peanuts.

I did put the peanuts on the porch rail, up against a pot of winter pansies...this worked for two weeks, then the Starlings discovered them. Starlings are also digging up my planters...have a biggie on another railing and the early spring bulbs are up 3 inches now, and the anenomes are taller than that...there is soil scattered all over the railing, the floor, the rubbermaid containers with birdseed...and of course, the hoses are disconnected.

Hamish went outside when I fed the birds...it began to snow big fat flakes just when he made his way thru the slush on the back steps...he raced up on the porch again, and complained bitterly, and called and called me to come and rescue him. I did, of course. We got back upstairs here, and of course the snow stopped..the sun is shining.

Back to cookie making...Lemon-Lime cookies. Yum Yum!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby B_BQ » Dec 17, 2012 8:10 pm

I'm still waiting for the Christmas 'on' switch.
I didn't put up the large Christmas tree this year, but a second smaller one. We were not sure that we were going to be here for Christmas, but we are, and so I'm making a bit of an effort.
90% of the presents are wrapped. Two more arrived by UPS today!
I picked up two beautiful large poinsettias - one for the entrance hall and one for between the living and dining room.
I have also made the mince pies and started on the sherry trifle.
I've made and frozen seven individual portions of Indian curry and Bolognese sauce to give to those, (who shall not be named, just in case someone is peeking), who will appreciate them!
Shopping is being done in dribs and drabs - I've pretty well got all the non-perishables, but will leave the fruits, veggies, breads and meats for later in the week. We're off to Costco on Thursday where I hope we will fnd the perfect turkey!
It was a very mild day here today. I'm not unhappy about that, but I suppose 'white' would be more festive.
No, I'm not a grinch, just not feeling particularly festive so far.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 17, 2012 8:41 pm

I have several bird books but can't find them.How can things get lost i a tiny one bedroom apartment?Joy
agedgardener2

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 17, 2012 9:37 pm

BBQ for someone not into the Spirit yet, I say you are doing a darn good show!

And Joy? things disappear here too...gonna start strip-searching folks...(or maybe Hamish.)

Okay...today I got the lighted figure/pictures in the kitchen windows, and the 5 stars in my bedroom window. The figure/pictures are to amuse the kiddies at the Day Care next door on their way home each night. (and make me haopy and MERRY too!)

I also managed to bake husb. and I each a cookie box full of Lemon-Lime cookies, altho his is fuller than mine...he's a cookie monster, always has been. A nice one, not a scary one!

Tomorrow if there is a Dog, I'll do Crinkly Molasses cooikies, and then Cardamom-Curry cookies...and I really want to do some chedcar cheese one inch squares of bread, too...you dip in the cream cheese, cheddar, eggie mixture to coat...freeze till ready to bake, bake at 400 (I THINK,it's been a year!)

SO here are some pictures...I may need to use two posts.

My outdoor Winter and Christmas decoration...the tree is fake, so is the bamboo, and the pussywillows...pine cones are for real, curly willow is too, and so are the baubles. And it's REAL dirt! I mean, tilth. I got the idea from a very elegant magazine which did a much better job of things than I did...but that is okay!

And here are my Crow guardians, they still make the Starlings nervous. Those leafy things are anenemones, there are little irises, small tulips, short daffies in that container.
Attachments
Outdoor Christmas Pot 2012.jpg
Guarding the spring plants Dec 17 2012.jpg
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 17, 2012 9:42 pm

And one of these should be my too-early started Amarrylis, and Narcissus, indoors...however, they do give me a bit of Springtime feeling, and doesn't the holly and berries look pretty against the white house next door?

Also, my Christmas tree that needs more decorations and for Hamish to stop doing what cats do so well.

I promise to get a more seasonal tablecloth on the table before Christmas Dinner.

And a turkey...I have potatoes, and cranberries...and that's it for food in the house, for Christmas Dinner. Husb. will shop...bless him.
Attachments
early Christmas Dec 17 2012.jpg
Dec 17th 2012 Xmas Tree.jpg
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 18, 2012 9:41 am

Love the Crows.I have a great affection for Crows...I put the body of one of the lobsters out for them .It is still there they preferred to take the food the Squirrels had carefully hidden.
Your Amaryllis looks great...two stalks yet!That is what I give all the teachers in the family.Their Students like to watch them grow in the classroom.I send all my overgrown houseplants to the Art room at the high School with my daughter.
From the sound of you cooking plans ,there is more than one cookie monster in your house.I've never been a cookie baker.The stove I had in my early years just didn't cook them right so I gave up and cooked squares.When I finally got a new stove I found I too could bake cookies.The first stove was a prewar GE model with an oven door that opened like a real door in a house.The cookies you mentioned sound delicious.
We couldn't plant bulbs in outdoor containers here ..too cold.I spent one winter in White Rock and can sympathies with you on the lack of snow and the continual rain.I felt like I was living in an Emily Carr painting....so depressing!
I guess I should have stayed I bought and sold a house...lived in it 6months and made $7000.00 .A college friend called me last week.She had sold her home in Vancouver for a Million and a half dollars.I still like Fredericton better.The storm hasn't arrived yet.Now it's coming tomorrow ..20-30Cm of snow,rain and freezing rain.I have a Dr. Appointment tomorrow.
I should go to Sobeys today.Shopped at Victory Meat market Sunday but they don't have all the stuff I need for cleaning.Amanda comes tomorrow to fix up my apt. for the party Christmas Eve.I'm still in my nightie drinking coffee....better get going.Joy
agedgardener2

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Did manage to eat two cookies, and they did not like me. Have revised cookie baking plans.

As for snow...turned on telly this morning to receive huge red weather alert...mucho snow expected. Had to research quite a bit before I found our area is to get plenty of rain following the snow, during the night. But, being the coast, I wouldn't bet my last nickel on it.

I have to be at the doctor's tomorrow at 11:20 and I do NOT drive on snow...no snow tires, lots of steep hills, so I either would not get there, or get home, if I did get there.

If I were to throw foodstuffs out for the Crows, I would attract Seagulls and that is a big no-no here.

And, today is an astonishingly PRETTY day! The sun is out, there are large patches of blue in the sky, and fresh snow fell during the night...light fluffy stuff, not soppy wet. This just does NOT happen here, and it's extremely rare to get snow before Christmas, as well. I understand Vanvouver and area are going to be hard hit by this storm...so glad I am NOT a city person. )and usually, here it IS an Emily Carr painting, definitely not my favourite...so today is precious!)

No one is coming to straighten up MY house, and my kitchen looks as tho I abandoned it several years ago. When I recover from my breakfast of PeptoBismal, I shall have to make a considerable effort in that poor kitchen. It would be nice to see the counter tops again!

Have a good one, Joy!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 18, 2012 7:39 pm

We had the red screen today too.A big storm tonight and tomorrow..up to 40Cm.I have an appointment tomorrow too.I doubt if the doctor will be in his office.They are warning us to keep off the roads.I'll go if I can...by taxi.I had to give up driving about seven years ago.I'm blind in one eye and can't judge distance.
I looked after my GD when she was a baby when her mother went back to College.We bonded and have always been close.I looked after all my grandkids after school when the mothers were in college and substitute teaching.I used to make bread in my bread machine for them so they had warm bread and home made strawberry jam after school at my apt.I really treasure those years...not many Gmothers have the chance to get so close to their Gkids.

Are you watching Downton Abbey on public TV Sunday nights?
I bought some peanut butter cookies but find them just too rich...I'll give them to my Gson and his friends.
Take care of yourself.I can't eat anything rich.I have friend who brings me cooking and it seems to have too much butter or marg. in it.It tastes good but just doesn't sit well.
Today my exercise machine went over to my daughters' house.I sent it by taxi.I don't think I be using it anymore and it took up too much room in my living room
. Take it easy and enjoy the season. Will you have to wait long to get another appointment if you miss this one ? Cheers Joy
agedgardener2

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 18, 2012 9:07 pm

I better not have to wait too long...I've been out of BP meds for a week now....and doctor won't be back till after Christmas, IF then...she might be taking the week after off too. She only works in the mornings, as is. They will not phone in prescriptions, you have to go in, in person and see the doctor. I've a friend in Vancouver who pays $100 a year so she and her husb. CAN phone in for prescription renewals. It's all about money, money.

Huge doctor shortage here.

no more cookies, cheese, milk, sour cream, butter, sugar...I have IBS. Today, I can have all the Kaopectate I want! Oh Yummy!

My kitchen is now sparkling clean, and I can see all the counters. I did not say all OF the counters... I can't lift half the appliances so they have to stay on one counter (which makes more work...they have to be wiped down.) I think of my grandmother swhose only kitchen appliance was a big wood cooking stove, sometimes with envy.

I hope your storm isn't too bad...40 cm...16 inches...WOW!

And we too have been told to stay home if the weather is bad.

Lily is no longer afraid of the snow...enjoyed racing about today...Hamish still complains about it, of course. Lily watched children's shows on tv this morning for 2 1/2 hours...I have had to stop watching the Dog Whisperer when she's with me, she'll learn too many bad habits!!!

I never thought Life would be this ridiculous.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: Christmas..

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 18, 2012 9:33 pm

Liz you made me laugh!!The storm has started....great big snowflakes.DIL said it was a terrible drive home.Took an hour and a half for a 40 minute drive.I'll be glad when everyone is home.I won't tell you how I feel but I think I'll retire and watch TV in bed.My Dr. renews prescriptions over the phone.I dread the day he retires.He was the Minister of Health under Frank McKenna .He looks after his good old Liberal patients.
And so to bed...Joy
agedgardener2

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence