Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Babble, babble, babble

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Babble, babble, babble

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 17, 2012 2:03 am

Use Tarnex or the salt and soda of your silver is really black but then polish it with the Twinkle.My GD does mine for Christmas every year with twinkle.Yes Joy does smell good sometimes...Cocoa .....my son bought for me in Paris.I really like Chanel #5 ..that's what I've used since I was in college.My daughter says that's how a mother should smell.Grandmother can't afford to buy it now.It was $10.00 a bottle when I started using it.
It is cold and slippery here.Willow thinks he wants out but when he puts his nose out the door he changes his mind.He constantly beside me...he won't get up in the morning without me.I'm up now because he woke me for food.His dish was full of Tuna which ate after I rearranged the Tuna.
Just to make you envious...I had Lobster the last two nights for supper.Will freeze the third.My younger daughter received them plus 3 more as a teacher gift.Her TA got 3 and 3 for me.The father is a fisherman.We'll put the frozen lobster in the chowder Christmas Eve.Nite Nite JoyI'll take some pictures of my meager decorations.I don't have tree anymore because of my allergies.Bought a Hepa filter air cleaner and it has really helped make me a little more comfortable. Joy
agedgardener2

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 17, 2012 3:52 pm

They don't make a pan big enough to dip the silver tray into. Have done other small things that way, Dave.

And thanks, Jazz...I won't expect too much of the Tarn-X then!

BBQ, what a darling car!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby jazz » Dec 17, 2012 4:21 pm

im with bbq on this. Twinkle is very good. We cant find any here for copper in quebec. So i took salt, the salt used to make preserves. Then i cut a lemon in 2 and dipped this in the salt. Et voila clean and shiny copper. Cant take credit for this. Have no idea where i got the idea but it works. jazz
jazz

Postby Heidi S » Dec 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Back to the mini topic, for a moment - polishing silver does nothing for me!

My dear almost 20 yr old son is DYING for a mini, and a RED MINI, at that. He has been in love with minis since he could talk. He wants to buy one in the worst way, and keeps asking if I would consider taking the money out of his education trust fund from my mom's estate - NO! It is an EDUCATION Fund, you know, for university? You get the remainder when you turn 25, so I control it until then, and meanwhile, keep working and saving and maybe you will have enough by then.

Now I think he is just jealous, because when I was a pre-schooler my parents had a little original mini, turquoise in colour, and we bombed around everywhere in that little thing - all 4 of us. We even moved from Vancouver to Vernon in it, with everyone except Dad in the driver seat, sitting packed in between all our worldly goods wedged in every space. We were dirt poor while Dad was in university, he would find work for a semester and we would move to wherever, and then head back to UBC when he had some more money for the next phase of his education plan.

I almost think that is the connection in this story. My mom struggled to feed us and keep us going while Dad pursued his education, until I was 5 years old, and Mom wanted to have Colin get an education without money worries - so his mini will have to wait until he has earned it himself.

Ahh the good old days!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby B_BQ » Dec 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Heidi:
I contributed to this post earlier but it diskappeared! What a pain in the Astilbe this forum is!

I've had my Mini Cooper S, (Electric Blue with Black Top), since 1993 and have enjoyed it enormously. It's such fun. It's still in showroom condition with less than 35,000 kms on it. It really doesn't need replacing, but as it is now 9 years old DH thinks I should at least be thinking of getting a new car. I've been looking, at both the Mini Coupe and the Roadster, (both/either would be the John Cooper Works model, (your son would know about that!), - both amazing-looking cars. (If one likes Minis!).

There's also an ever-growing queue waiting for me to make a decision as they're interested in my existing Mini!

If I do decide to get a new one then I will probably give first dibs of the car to my son, (providing he can afford the insurance and maintenance), but he may not want to drive his Mum's old car! :roll:

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Darling BBQ...could you put on your thinking cap for a moment and maybe tell me it is what I have wanted all my grown up life?

The year was 1957 and one of the wealthy young fellows at school had a dark hunter green, rather boxy sports car...I think it was a Triumph something. (TR...something number)

I only know it was English.

It was SUCH a little darling. I didn't know the chap, but he was very well brought up and could tell I had completely fallen in love with HIS little darlin'...one of those lovely moments to look back on.)
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby B_BQ » Dec 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Lizcordysmum wrote:Darling BBQ...could you put on your thinking cap for a moment and maybe tell me it is what I have wanted all my grown up life?

I had to bring my hubby in on this one. He's the one with a great knowledge of all things cars!! :roll:

He says he thinks it would be either:

A TR 2 or 3
MGA
Austin Healey 3-litre

Before I met my husband I had a boyfriend who had an old TR2. One weekend, in all innocence, we drove from the Midlands, (Birmingham), to London. Not a great distance to Canadians, but oh boy it sure was a big distance to me. We tore down the M1 at great speed, top down, (no rain), and every time another TR2 appeared there was great honking of horns, waving of arms and flashing of lights! Great fun. That weekend I experienced my very first ---- Italian cuisine!!! Gotcha! Real spaghetti, (not out of a tin), with real Bolognese sauce, in an area of London named Soho. Oh my, I felt very grown up, but I was really scared. For a smaller town girl London was very scary! That was my first footstep to a more sophisticated and adventurous lifestyle! Good memories And really it was very innocent - just a nice kiss at the end of the day. :lol:

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 19, 2012 8:24 pm

The first NEW car we ever had was a Nash Metropolitan...turquoise and white.Everyone thought it was a European sports car.Actually it was a piece of junk.I had great fun driving it.That was before I had children.On the highway other cars tried to race me and of course I gave them a run for their money! Joy
agedgardener2

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Thank you, BBQ ('s husband!) I will look it up and see if it is The One!

Loved your story!

and Joy's...yours too.

My first car was a Renault Le Car...bright red of course, with a black and white houndstooth roof. Gorgeous little thing. Alas, one day she said she could no longer climb hills, or indeed, slopes...

But the best one of all was my beloved 86 Hyundai Pony...also bright red.

In my earlier days, that baby sure could G0l like a bat out of hell, and that was just before Mealoaf came along...however the Beach Boys WERE there!

Now I am VERY glad I live where the speed limit is mostly 50 kph.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Heidi S » Dec 19, 2012 11:05 pm

My current car is my favourite so far. With my inheritance from Mom I eventually bought myself a 2008 VW Rabbit 4 door, hatchback. It is a 5 spd standard transmission, with cruise control, heated seats (nice up here in the cold zone) and drives like stink.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the colour I wanted - navy or green, but I while I settled on a boring silver one for a great price, I had it toned up with a lovely decal of a real sunflower on either side, blending into the dark green pin stripe. I never lose it in the parking lot at the mall either.

I love driving standard vehicles in snowy conditions - I feel in control. And I do have studded snow tires on for traction. This is the car that we are taking to the Coast on the weekend - those mountain passes will definitely have snow even if the big city has cleared up.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence