Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Got Snow ? ....

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Got Snow ? ....

Postby Laura » Dec 20, 2012 7:41 am

.... make a snowman.The grandkids had a snowday and got busy creating !

snowman.jpg
snowman.jpg (21.12 KiB) Viewed 2204 times

... picture by Melanie ( "borrowed by me ")
Laura

Re: Got Snow ? ....

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Well DONE, Melanie! What did you use for coloured facial features and buttons?

The only flake around here is me, I'm afraid. The winds have stopped (thank you, Dog) but the rain has been plentiful, and shows no sign of stopping.

I find it very hard to roll it into balls, alas.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Laura » Dec 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Haven't talked to Melanie yet so don't know what was used for the colored buttons and face.Will find out though.I sto ... er ... borrowed the picture from her facebook page early this morning.The kids did a great job !

Warm here today and melting and big rains for the weekend .... snow may discappear before the day .... ( big sigh )
Laura

Postby Heidi S » Dec 20, 2012 2:03 pm

YES, coming down in buckets right now, but its too dry to roll into snowmen balls. Unlike the Coast, we get very dry snow and it shovels well, but doesn't roll nicely.

I love snowmen!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Heidi, if we get enough snow, it is generally excellent for making snow people, snow animals.

Sadly, this time we got so little that snow people would have been covered in dead leaves, twigs, dirt. Which is not one bit inspiring.

Laura, am thinking food colouring...maybe colour paste as the colours are so strong.

Up north I once did a very long crocodile (I was going for a dragon but thoughts didn't make it thru to actions) and I filled bottle after bottle (spray bottle) with a mixture of green food colouring and water...it took forever to get a greenish cast to my crocodile.

I thought he looked lovely, but I then broke my ankle skating, and when I FINALLY got home from the hospital 100 km away, my BIL had ploughed our driveway (doing me a Good Deed) but completely covering up my beautiful pastel green crocodile! (Well, I did HAVE all the fun of doing it!)

I not only miss lovely big snowfalls, but the fun of playing in it. Second childhood, here I come...ready or not!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Heidi S » Dec 20, 2012 4:29 pm

Liz there is a guy in our neighbourhood who does one snow/ice sculpture each year, and right now, there is a very large snow bull moose (including horns) sitting in his front yard. He has done a giant snowflake, a dragon, eagle, jumping salmon and many others. They are spectacular!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 20, 2012 7:17 pm

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh!

I wish I was there.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel