Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Tink

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Tink

Postby CdnChelsea » Dec 23, 2012 11:54 pm

*Update on Tink

The vet called me yesterday with Tinks' blood test results. He told me Tink is pretty healthy but one of his kidneys isn't functioning the way it should. The other kidney is ok.
He also has some parasites so I am taking in a stool sample tomorrow to get it tested. Then the vet can figure out what kind of wormer to give him.

Tink needs to take antibiotics twice a day for his infected gums. The pills are very tiny and Tink likes them.
I figured I would have to wrestle him into submission so I could shove the pill down his throat, expecting he would spit it up, sending it who-knows-where.
But nooooooooo......I put the pill down on the counter and Tink eats it up. What a good little boy he is.
His breath isn't stinky anymore and he has started to eat like a horse. Even Oliver can't figure out why Tink is so much more playful.

Must be the antibiotics making him feel better.

Surgery is going to be in early January.
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Heidi S » Dec 24, 2012 12:39 am

And I just talked with my son, who tells me that Charlie is so grumpy about the cold weather, and not wanting to go outside, but not wanting to be inside, that he is tearing the house apart - and peeing on thing! Little B@st@rd! He has been known to spray - not a joy to be around, but he is going wild! I am not sure how this is going to go tomorrow when Colin leaves for Vancouver and the housesitter is looking after them for 4 days. The forecast is for even colder for the rest of the week.

Meanwhile, Ms. Molly managed to steal two chocolate cupcakes Colin brought home last night, but apparently no side effects. Then he mentioned there were some chocolates too, but she didn't get them - I told him to please put those in the fridge to keep them away from her. Sheesh!

I dread to see the after effects of Hurricane Charles.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Lulu » Dec 24, 2012 9:39 am

Chelsea,,we only have one cat, that's enough! He's the king of this castle, hates the dogs, and makes no secret of it, if they dare walk near him!

The briefcase pic is an old one, but I love it! He slept in my briefcase every day, while I worked from home, for his entire life, and now that I no longer work, he just sprawls across my desk, away from the dogs, for the better part of the day.

People always ask if he is a maine coon, he's not,,he's just a big old barn cat!
Lulu

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 24, 2012 11:37 am

Some years ago when I started to lose my hearing....but didn't realize it...I thought Willow was loosing his voice.Some human voices get softer with age so why not cats? Well I finally had a hearing test and a hearing aide.I was saddened to find that Willow could sing just as loud as ever! We prefer to refer as his vocal attempts as singing.His feelings are easily hurt.I finally have convinced my son to speak to him softly to get him [Willow] to obey and obey he does......sometimes.....when it suits Willow! Joy
agedgardener2

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 24, 2012 11:38 am

Some years ago when I started to lose my hearing....but didn't realize it...I thought Willow was loosing his voice.Some human voices get softer with age so why not cats? Well I finally had a hearing test and a hearing aide.I was saddened to find that Willow could sing just as loud as ever! We prefer to refer as his vocal attempts as singing.His feelings are easily hurt.I finally have convinced my son to speak to him softly to get him [Willow] to obey and obey he does......sometimes.....when it suits Willow! Joy
agedgardener2

Postby Heidi S » Dec 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Oh, dear me, Molly didn't just eat cupcakes, she got the box of chocolates too, and our son has had an interesting night - vomiting dog, fighting cats, - I know chocolate is not good for dogs, so this is not good.

She is being taken to our friends for the next 4 days as son is on his way to airport to fly down here for Christmas. I just emailed my friend to warn her that Molly is not feeling too good, although Colin said this am that she is less frantic. If need be, Molly will have to go to the vet for a check up. Credit card at the ready!

Of course - because my friends will absolutely want a vomiting dog visiting for 4 days. I owe her big time, even more!

Just what we all need - a stupid, garbage hound, mutt!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby davefrombc » Dec 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Hopefully the chocolates were milk chocolate coating with filling rather than solid chocolate. The symptoms you described Molly having point directly at theobromine poisoning. I'd bite the bullet and take her to a vet .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 24, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm with you, Dave...I'd have been at the vet's the instant I discovered what she'd ingested.

And dearest, sweetest, Master Gardener in Training, your training had BETTER include warning people from buying the cocoa shell mulch for their garden beds...dogs love it and it is a KILLER to them.

I ADORE vocal cats...I am so glad Hamish has an opinion on everything and never hesitates to speak up. I had three very vocall Siamese boys at once and it was a delightful time of my life. ALL my cats have been talkers, protesters, agitators...Hamish is a man of many voices...little chirrups when he's love-talking me, loud raucous screams when he thinks I snuck out the back door without saying Goodbye...a LOUD delighted yelp when I call to him and tell him I am NOT lost, but at the computer...and he comes dashing in to see it is for REAL, and tells me what a fright I gave him. and how lucky we are to be safe together again.

Put a hand on him and say "good night, Hamish" and he murmurs a sleepy "good night Mom" back in cat talk. Demands for breakfast, supper...discussion about What WE are going to do in the bathroom together, now...or, WHY I have closed the door with him on the wrong side of it..."Are you all right in there, Mom?"

Only time he is quiet, is when he is outside trying to be invisible when I am calling him in...and then I am sure he says "Curses, foiled again" when I make the "SSSSST SSSST sound like the hose does, which is the Final Word before I use the hose to get him indoors. Now he comes running when I call his name and is told what a Good Boy he really is. Hamish is a people cat.

And Tink must be greatly relived to not be in pain any more...I know Braveheart was a New Man...lord, MAJOR GUILT for me.

I hope all is well...and very best wishes.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Heidi S » Dec 25, 2012 2:47 pm

Yeah, Molly is doing just fine - no issues once she got to my friends who are babysitting her for us.
This dog has consumed her fair share of inappropriate stuff in her 6 years of life, and she has weathered it all. I think the chocolates were mild enough - apparently a box of those seashells that are part white/milk chocolate, and no dark, so not as strong as could have been.

Phew! Meanwhile, it is -21 in PG today, so the cats are still incarcerated - I hate to think what the place looks like now. Good thing we didn't put up a Christmas Tree this year!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 25, 2012 7:46 pm

I am SO glad to hear this news!

(I won't even let my dogs lick out chocolate ice cream bowls, altho they get others...bad me.)

I forgot to cook cranberries...fortunately, the turkey is hours away.

IF you miss a Christmas MESS, you shouldda been here this morning! Pets got so many presents (a lot of treats in packages, included) and all tissue-wrapped...really messy stuff! Husb carried my dear old boy upstairs to join in the fun...Cordy can go down the stairs, but not up. Cordy was quite confused at first but remembers PRESENTS! and then spent a long time trying to find the Christmas tree.

Later, he wanted to go home to bed, so Husb took him back. And after the floor mess was tidied away, and the table was bare except for the tree itself, Lily sat up and begged at the table...wanting more excitement, MORE presents. (Three new stuffed toys weren't enough? ) She wants Hamish's new mousie...pull its tail and it appears to be chasing you. All the pets are afraid of it.

I sincerely hope everything is going well for you, all around. Have been wishing you well, all day today.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence