Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Orchis italica - Naked Man Orchid

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Orchis italica - Naked Man Orchid

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Jan 06, 2013 12:28 am

Does anyone know anything about Orchis Italica - Naked Man Orchid? I did look it up on the Internet and apparently it's hardy to Zone 5 (I'm Zone 6) I'm actually trying to find bulbs - I will check in with Art Knapps too.
Attachments
Orchis italica.jpg
Orchis italica.jpg (51.3 KiB) Viewed 5233 times
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Re: Orchis italica - Naked Man Orchid

Postby B_BQ » Jan 06, 2013 11:31 am

:lol: :lol:
Having one of those would sure perk up the conversation! :roll:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby orchidguy » Jan 07, 2013 12:24 am

Hi Ruby
The Canadian Orchid Congress site, should have a link on where you can purchase this orchid.
I have no idea if any grower in Canada is selling these, as I had to order mine from an Austrailian grower. I have not found them hardy here, and I treat them the same as my Pleione orchids. Their pots are sunk in ground during warm months and are stored for the winter in a cool greenhouse.
You have a much warmer zone, so they might just work for you outside year round.
One other thing, and this is only my opinion, but was rather disappointed in the look of the bloom as a whole. They are small, and really cannot be appreciated unless seen very closely (true with a lot of orchid species), otherwise they look somewhat like a dwarf pink physostegia or gas plant (IMO only)
Good Luck
orchidguy

Postby ness09 » May 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi Orchidguy,
I'm from Australia and have been trying to get a hold of some orchis for a while now I've just stumbled across your post and was wondering if you would be able to give me more info on where you got yours.
Thanks
ness09

Return to Plant Talk