Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

When to use dormant sprays

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

When to use dormant sprays

Postby Canadian Ent » Apr 05, 2013 6:18 pm

I"m in a bit of a conundrum about when to use my "Green Earth Dormant Spray" kit on my lilac, plum and cherry trees.

The directions for the dormant spray all say on day above 5 degrees Celsius, when there will be no rain for 24 hours, and when it won't go down to freezing over night. Also, the suggestion is to spray before the buds flower or least come out.

I live in zone 5A or 5B; just north of Toronto. There are buds now on my trees and they don't look very far from opening. THe problem is that none of the weather conditions over the next few weeks look good: it is either too cold or warm enough but raining.

How many times can I spray? If I spray in the morning and it rains at night is the application ruined? If I spray again is it too much spray?

I am little bit (read: a lot) OCD about things like this. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Canadian Ent

Re: When to use dormant sprays

Postby Countryboy » Apr 05, 2013 8:54 pm

U must get it on before the buds come out. That's why they call these products 'dormant' sprays. 'Dormant oil' sprays will withstand some rain, as long as they get a chance to soak into the outer bark. *A few hours, IMO.*

The manufacturers all recommend that they be applied under perfect conditions. U can get away with somewhat less than perfect conditions.

I've never used a dormant spray on Lilacs . . . only fruit trees.

Best of luck! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Re: When to use dormant sprays

Postby Canadian Ent » Apr 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Thank you - that's the sort of practical advice I was hoping to hear.
Canadian Ent

Return to Plant Talk