Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Woodchips and adding new soil

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Woodchips and adding new soil

Postby JJ1159 » Apr 11, 2013 11:43 am

Hi. Last fall I covered all my gardens with wood chips. This spring I would like to add some new soil and compost etc to the gardens. There are still quite a few wood chips covering the gardens so do I rake them off, add new soil then put them back on (seems like a lot of work!) or just add new soil on top and turn the chips in with the soil?
JJ1159

Re: Woodchips and adding new soil

Postby lilybulb » Apr 11, 2013 12:15 pm

If I have alot still on top of the soil,I will rake off and reuse.If the layer is thin,I just work them into the soil.I find the smaller the chips,it is easier to just till them under.They say they deplete the soil of nitrogen,so I always add a high nitrogen fertilizer when working them in.Never a problem with doing this.
lilybulb

Postby Countryboy » Apr 11, 2013 2:34 pm

lilybulb wrote:If I have alot still on top of the soil,I will rake off and reuse.If the layer is thin,I just work them into the soil.I find the smaller the chips,it is easier to just till them under.They say they deplete the soil of nitrogen,so I always add a high nitrogen fertilizer when working them in.Never a problem with doing this.

Ya... to all of that. Sometimes I rake them off . . sometimes amend the soil on top of them. Blood meal is really good for adding nitrogen.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Apr 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Okay people.....tell me how you manage to keep ants from migrating into the area covered by wood chips ?

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby lilybulb » Apr 12, 2013 1:14 pm

I have seen ants when the mulch is moved but haven't had any problems from them.What I don't see is weeds,which is what destroys the gardens.What are the ants doing that are troublesome?
lilybulb

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Apr 13, 2013 11:54 am

Ants feed on plant roots rather than above ground foliage. When we lived on an acreage we lost a couple of carrigana hedge plants to ants before we cottoned on to what was going on.In Edmonton, the City places wood chips around bushes as weed dampeners & they now have many blvd bushes that look anything other than robust.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby lilybulb » Apr 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Well I learned something.Could be location BC verses Ont? Here I have not had a problem with ants in the garden as far as damage goes.I do however have had a few years with huge ant hills on the lawn,but thats it.
lilybulb

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Apr 13, 2013 6:16 pm

I don't recall much of an ant problem when I lived in Oakville or Twassassen other than small ant mounds in the lawn which I used to dispose of with ant killer in powder form & then watered into the mound. I still get them in the lawn next to the driveway or cement walks here in Edmonton & kill them off the same way. Of course the sidewalks & driveway edges work the same way as wood chips in that they absorb heat from the sun & I suspect this is what actually attracks ants. Anyhow I would keep a sharp eye on the wood chips when using them.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas