Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Backyard Project

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Backyard Project

Postby 06Honda » Apr 12, 2013 11:02 am

This area is 100% shade during the summer due to the large trees in my backyard. I have no plan on removing the trees so would like ideas; tips or suggestions as to what I can do to liven up this area. The trees take all the water so its near impossible to have grass like the rest of the lawn. I tried clover last year but very limited results. One the plus side my lawn has a inground sprinkler system so getting water to the area is no issue but what to plant etc is my puzzle. Thanks for any help with this backyard project. I am open to just about anything.
Attachments
Backyard 1.jpg
http://paul-otoole.artistwebsites.com/

Paul
Kingston, Ontario
Zone 5B
06Honda

Re: Backyard Project

Postby lilybulb » Apr 12, 2013 11:14 am

Years ago I went to a backard plant sale,and they had lots of Hostas.I said I didn't have a good spot for them and the lady said,if you have trees you have a great spot.She showed me on her property a tree with the soil built up nicely around the tree about 3 feet out all around.This was filled with Hostas and it was just beautiful.These plants were planted so close that you couldn't see the soil.You can get bags of Hosta roots from the big box stores that are quite reasonable.Just a thought.
lilybulb

Postby 06Honda » Apr 12, 2013 11:25 am

I remember seeing these a few days ago at Home Depot in bags, never thought anything of it. Hmmm, maybe an idea to get some and plant all over the area in clumps.

Paul
Kingston, Ontario
Zone 5B
06Honda

Postby Countryboy » Apr 12, 2013 10:19 pm

Hosta is good for shade, but sometimes will not grow well in deep shade. For some shade areas that are awkward to get to, I like Periwinkle or Lily of the Valley. They both spread quickly. In fact, many people consider them invasive.

But they're ironclad under most circumstances. Plant a few roots, they'll take over whatever area suits them, and thrive happily ever after. :)

The downside to them is that you'll have them 'til u sell your house and move. Whether u want them or not... lol
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby conniepr » Apr 13, 2013 9:01 am

One thing I would warn against is disturbing the roots of the trees when you plant anything in there. I did that about four years ago. The following year, the tree I planted a shade garden under blew over in a windstorm (a huge pine tree). I had weakened the root system on that one side. It was only small roots that I cut into to dig up the new flower bed, no bigger than the size of a finger, but it must have been enough. :(
I like the idea of the person above who suggested the raised beds for hostas. If you could plant a raised bed of some kind, that might work. But then water runoff might be a problem, unless you're willing to use your sprinklers more often. At key times of the late evening/early morning?
conniepr

Postby 06Honda » Apr 13, 2013 9:19 am

Good tip on the roots, I will keep that in mind for sure. Last 2 summers I ran the inground sprinkler every second day for anywhere from 15-25 minutes per zone. Honestly I am not sure if this is too much or still too little? The rest of the lawn is just fine with that schedule. I will googled "Periwinkle or Lily of the Valley" and they call "Periwinkle" - The Sorcerer's Violet LOL. For "Lily of the Valley" heres the common description: "Have you ever known someone dainty, attractive, and exceedingly charming, yet surprisingly determined? Many gardeners would describe the diminutive lily of the valley as just such a character". Don't be deceived by the gentle-sounding names. These are thugs. Velociraptors in pretty-scented sheep's clothing, LOL. Mid april still have some time to get ready for growing.

Paul
Kingston, Ontario
Zone 5B
06Honda

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Apr 13, 2013 11:50 pm

If I had known that spreading junipers would spread like they do I would'nt have planted lawn grass in the front yard. I planted 2 roots 20 yrs ago between a spruce tree & my driveway. A space of about 8ft. wide. They have covered the entire 8 ft. plus about 10ft. of the driveway. A round area of about 20 ft. in diameter and 5" thick. They require virtually no upkeep but am going to have to clip the outer edges every spring so that I can continue to get the car in & out of the garage. In the fall, after the first frost they turn purple until buried by snowfall. They do get some filtered sun for short periods during the late afternoon. In the backyard was another story. When we moved into the new house 22 yrs ago there was just a bare lot & of course we planted trees with great exuberance. What a disaster. 5 yrs ago we removed 9 trees. One in the front, 8 in the backyard. What a difference. We kept 2 stumps about 18" high
& Myrt placed flower pots on them. However, one was a maple & of course the stump sprouted. I let them grow then keep the sprouts trimmed at 6ft.high & 5ft.wide. I call it my Maple bush & it is a lot better looking as a bush than it ever was as a tree.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby 06Honda » Apr 15, 2013 6:58 am

Has anyone used bugleweed in their garden. This may work for my area?

Paul
Kingston, Ontario
Zone 5B
06Honda

Postby lilybulb » Apr 15, 2013 9:16 am

Yes,that takes shade and spreads.Some say its invasive,but I don't find that.
lilybulb

Postby 06Honda » Apr 27, 2013 5:21 pm

Planted 4 one gallon Periwinkle (Vinca minor) plants today in the area in the photo where nothing really grows. Spaced them about 3 feet apart. Added a few clumps of moss near rocks in the other area, should be interesting to see how they both grow. Put some root boost on all the plantings to help a little with their intial growth.

Paul
Kingston, Ontario
Zone 5B
06Honda

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas