Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Roof Gardens

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Roof Gardens

Postby LittleJackie » Apr 16, 2013 11:19 am

From my early childhood I was fascinated by the Hanging Gardens of Babylono or at least any green space that was more vertical than horizontal (cascade gardens) or a roof garden. So, when I saw this article http://ellidavis.com/toronto-real-estate-news/2013/04/roof-garden-tips-toronto (it was highly unlikely to find it on a realtor's web), my childhoood dream reignited. Sadly, I don't have my own roof to begin with, but I was thinking about asking other people living in our building if they have anything against turning our (presumably) unused roof into a nice little garden. But I am not naive, I know that it would be a tough one, to convince people.

I just want to ask here: do you have a roof garden (post pics if you do :) )? If so, what are the main disadvantages that you've personally encountered? + have you encountered any legal obstructions when doing this? Thanks so much for any answers!
LittleJackie

Re: Roof Gardens

Postby Countryboy » Apr 16, 2013 12:10 pm

I love the idea of roof gardens! :) Tho I've never built one... :(

Being a contractor for most of my life I will give u one certain step in the process tho. A railing . . . to building code standards . . . will have to enclose whatever area that people are given access to.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas