Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Oxalis Shamrock

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: Oxalis Shamrock

Postby growitall » Dec 02, 2012 4:16 pm

If you're talking about a zone 3 hardy oxalis, it is likely Oxalis acetosella. There are many other species, and most are not that hardy.
growitall

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Dec 04, 2012 12:11 pm

I have this one in the house as a houseplant. They are so easy to care for but was more concerned about it not re-blooming now. I've had it for a couple of years now and it's only this past fall it hasn't come back and started to grow.
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby orchidguy » Dec 04, 2012 12:34 pm

did you check the bulbs Sandy? They can survive quite a long dormancy seeing as they come from Argentina, Bolivia, and Paraguay, they are used to quite long periods of sporatic drought
orchidguy

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Dec 04, 2012 2:01 pm

I've got that on my list 'To Do'.... :roll: :roll:
It should happen one of these days!!
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Dec 10, 2012 1:32 pm

I fell in love with mine after getting some bulbs last spring on the lark, so I dug up the bulbs after the frost killed the leaves and planted one in the pot, the rest I saved in a traditional bulb storage mode.

The one in the pot sprouted a bunch of leaves now, no flowers yet.

Even fi the bulbs do not survive, i am buying it again next spring, love it!
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Dec 10, 2012 1:56 pm

I've had lots of comments about my plant when it was blooming, anxiously awaiting signs of growth. I removed all the little bulbettes and re-potted it into new potting soil and waiting to see what happens. I have one that has green leaves and white flowers but I like the deep purple one the best. My daughter has one and she has it in the bathroom, seems to love the location as it just keeps on blooming! :lol: :lol:
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Apr 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Here is an update to what's going on with this plant: I re-potted it into some new soil and checked the bulbets and used the healthy ones. I now have a full grown plant with lots of blooms on it. In the meantime I acquired the green oxalis which is now blooming with white flowers on it. I think I like the purple oxalis best as it's very showy.
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby CG admin » Apr 18, 2013 9:47 am

Happy to hear it grew back! I have a green oxalis and it's my longest surviving houseplant. :D
CG admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Plant Talk