Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Emerald Cedars have black bottoms

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Emerald Cedars have black bottoms

Postby HeelsDown » Apr 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Hello all,

With the snow melting, I got to see how my yard fared over the winter. We had planted 4 Emerald Cedars in the back corner to hide some of our neighbours ugly collection of stuff/shed. They were fine all fall (think we planted them in Sept/Oct?) - we made sure we planted according to the directions and gave them plenty of water.

Now, the bottoms are black. I'm hoping it is just dieback from the winter? The parts that are black were likely the parts under all the snow and nothing else on Google Image looked like it could be the culprit. If dieback, I read they will be fine and to just leave them alone. True?

I noticed in one picture, it looks like we almost just planted it or that we didn't shake the shape of the container out when we planted it, but we did. Maybe some soil erosion...it can get pretty wet out there we've found out. So much rain and when all the ice from our ice storm melted it was a lake in that back corner (in Wellesley Towship, which got hit really hard). I'll fix that up when it dries out.

I read dog urine could to it, but I don't that would have been likely since they've been snow covered for a good 3 months.

Any thoughts??

Thanks again! So glad spring is here!
Jenn

https://picasaweb.google.com/schmenn/Ga ... directlink
HeelsDown

Re: Emerald Cedars have black bottoms

Postby HeelsDown » May 06, 2013 3:56 pm

No takers on this one eh? lol

I still have the cedars and I just tried to shake off the black parts at the bottom ...wasn't sure if I should just cut if off. And, if I do cut it, it will leave a foot to a foot and a half of no coverage - which is kind of annoying, b/c we planted them there to hide our neighbours ugly shed. The tops of them all seem to be fine ... guess we wait and see.

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby Countryboy » May 06, 2013 7:25 pm

HeelsDown wrote:And, if I do cut it, it will leave a foot to a foot and a half of no coverage - which is kind of annoying, b/c we planted them there to hide our neighbours ugly shed. The tops of them all seem to be fine ...

Ya... 'pologies, Jenn. I know very little abt ornamental Cedar. :oops: lol

Ferns would look good in there. And are great for hiding a multitude of sins. Mine grow to three feet in the Summer. Leave the bracken there for interest in the Winter.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby CG admin » May 06, 2013 7:39 pm

Yes, sorry, I wasn't sure what the culprit could be either! Usually if it's dog urine, they turn yellow or orange. Hopefully they'll come back! But I agree with Countryboy that you could plant something nice underneath them to disguise the ugly shed ;)
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby HeelsDown » May 22, 2013 11:10 pm

Well, looks like my cedars are going to be toast. They now are starting to yellow on the outside branches and one of them has significant death inside it. I've been talking to the people I bought it from and, luckily there is a 3 yr warranty.

Likely what will happen is they will eventually need to come out and take them out. Hopefully, they can also tell us why so we can decide to get more or try something else.

At least the hostas have grown in somewhat to hide some of the ugly shed. We bought an empress wu hosta and put it nearby. Can't wait to see what that does! :)

Jenn
HeelsDown

Return to Plant Talk