Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Need help with a natural area

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Need help with a natural area

Postby brekra » Apr 18, 2013 6:55 pm

I live in the country and my lawn back onto a natural area. It is mostly long grass, weeds and a few shrubs, and farther back is a wooded area.
My question is - can I just scatter some wild flower seeds in the grassy area? Are they likely to grow? Or do I have to dig and actually plant each seed?
If anyone has any experience with this - I would really appreciate some advice.
Thanks very much!
brekra

Re: Need help with a natural area

Postby Countryboy » Apr 19, 2013 8:25 am

Yes... u can just scatter them. Now would be a good time.

Remember that some will take root and flower this summer, some will not. Some that flower will be perennial, and flower every year. But some will be biennial flowering this summer, but not next year.

So wildflowers are kind of a hit-or-miss thing, but well worth their ability to turn a 'fieldish' area into an area of grass-with-accents . . . little blobs of colour providing a nice break from the mostly green, or brown.

Have fun... and enjoy! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby CG admin » Apr 19, 2013 10:36 am

I would just scatter the seeds, too. I'm wanting to do the same thing this year. What I do have already is Solomon's Seal. It seems to do very well. They won't bloom this year, but I also want to plant Virginia bluebells which will bloom next spring: http://www.canadiangardening.com/plants ... ls/a/51012
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby brekra » Apr 30, 2013 6:48 am

Thanks so much for your advice! I have "scattered", and now I will wait! :)
brekra

Return to Plant Talk