Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Non-toxic Climbing Vines

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Non-toxic Climbing Vines

Postby Ivy » Apr 26, 2013 1:53 pm

We're hoping to put up 350' of chain link fence this weekend and I would like to have a climbing vine to make the area look nicer but be non-toxic to my dogs. Does anyone know of any fast growing perennial climbing vines? Can be with or without flowers, as long as it's pleasing to the eye. I'm in zone 6b if that helps any.

Thank you
Ivy

Re: Non-toxic Climbing Vines

Postby Countryboy » Apr 27, 2013 7:26 am

Well I searched around last nite to try to find an answer for u. The hits I was getting were to dog forums, that didn't know anything abt vines, or to gardening forums, that had no idea of what plants were toxic to dogs. :(

**The only one I came up with was climbing Roses, BTW. Absolutely safe!

BUT! My dog eats grass... and only grass. And only the grass that he has carefully sniffed out and decided to eat. He will ignore all other grasses... and plants.

Being a gardener, my yard, and house, are full of plants that are toxic to dogs. But Tonka has never shown any desire to eat them. I don't think he ever would.

Now u know yr dog. What do u think? If u did plant a hedge of Wisteria, or Clematis, or Virginia Creeper... do u think he would try to eat them?
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby lilybulb » Apr 27, 2013 9:39 am

I would go with Silver Lace Vine.Non toxic,very fast grower and beautiful.They say it can become invasive,but I haven't seen that.This will cover your fence in no time.
lilybulb

Postby Jersm » May 01, 2013 2:57 pm

I would go with grape vines since if you are interested, you may use the grapes to make wine.
Jersm

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas