Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Hardening off plants

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Hardening off plants

Postby Buggis » May 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi there,

I am a newbie. So glad to be here! I have some vegetables I grew under lights that I want to harden off. The weather is the early 20's here now, with overnight lows of 10 or low teens. Do I still need to harden them off? Also, I just got a cold frame/ greenhouse cover for my raised garden. Can I just transfer them into that? There is no wind, and it's quite warm. Thanks in advance!
Buggis

Re: Hardening off plants

Postby Countryboy » May 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Buggis wrote:Do I still need to harden them off? Also, I just got a cold frame/ greenhouse cover for my raised garden. Can I just transfer them into that? There is no wind, and it's quite warm. Thanks in advance!

Ya... u do need to observe one aspect of the hardening off process. And that's getting them used to outdoor sunlight. The temps should be OK but, wherever I put them, I would screen them off with some light whitewash *on your greenhouse cover*, or shade them somehow. Make sure they're well watered. Then gradually increase their sunlite.

I'll be planting out Morning Glories tomorrow but screening them for a few days with a piece of lattice. After a day or three of dappled full sun they should be OK. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Jersm » May 06, 2013 10:00 am

Buggis wrote:Hi there,

I am a newbie. So glad to be here! I have some vegetables I grew under lights that I want to harden off. The weather is the early 20's here now, with overnight lows of 10 or low teens. Do I still need to harden them off? Also, I just got a cold frame/ greenhouse cover for my raised garden. Can I just transfer them into that? There is no wind, and it's quite warm. Thanks in advance!

Ive tried doing this before from plants ive grown indoors under CFL lights. Mostly if they arent use to the the sun light they get damaged if you just place them outdoors right away.

This process takes about a week of letting the plants get an hour of sun the first day then every day raise it by 30 mins - 1 hour everyday.

If you just transfer them right away under the sun they might get stuned (happened to me) and you will notice a lack in growth maybe rot even / death. you might even notice the texture of the plant itself being a bit soft compared to other outdoor plant.
Jersm

Postby Buggis » May 10, 2013 8:47 am

Thanks. Okay I did harden off the plants as I should and have transferred them to the mini greenhouse and they seem to be doing well! Thanks for the advice.
Buggis

Postby growitall » May 12, 2013 9:13 pm

The simplest way to harden off seedlings grown indoors is simply to set them in the shade for a week... there's no need to move them in and out of sunlight.

Watch you don't cook your seedlings in the cold frame.
growitall

Postby lilybulb » May 13, 2013 10:40 am

tried a mini greenhouse years ago,and plants can fry within hours.With that and wind blowing the whole thing away,I find they are not so good unless you babysit them.Hope you have better luck.
lilybulb

Return to Plant Talk