Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

HELP!! intruder in garden!!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

HELP!! intruder in garden!!

Postby nini2ksg » May 08, 2013 9:02 am

hi :-)
I am new to the forum and need some help with an invasive plant taking over my garden. I moved into this beautiful victorian home in October and am just discovering what has been planted throughout the gardens...my front garden however is being completely taken over by this plant I can't identify. What is it and how do I get rid of it??Image
nini2ksg

Re: HELP!! intruder in garden!!

Postby CG admin » May 08, 2013 10:06 am

Hi there! Does it smell like mint?
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby Laura » May 08, 2013 11:17 am

Oh boy ... what you have there is goutweed.The easiest way to get rid of it is to move (I am only half kidding) ... lol.

Goutweed needs to be dug out.Repeatly.It grows from root and any pieces that you leave behind will sprout.I have this also and know of which I speak.I have tried all methods to get rid of it but I still have it after 17 years here.I have a neighbor that grows it and lets it go to seed because "It's pretty" ... :roll:

If your's is an isolated patch ... you may have a good chance to get rid of it.

Good luck.
Laura

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 08, 2013 1:03 pm

I'm old fashioned hence I get rid of unwanted intruders like gout weed by using a systemic killer ie: Roundup. I don't know if it is still available & if not perhaps there is a systemic killer alternative that is. Otherwise you are stuck with digging it out plus digging out the dirt & screening it to capture all of the little pieces of root then putting back the screened soil. A method that I have used to get rid of quack grass....a lot of work but can be effective.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Laura » May 08, 2013 2:02 pm

I would not go with chemicals but if one wanted to you have to check to see if they are banned or not.Also if you spray enough to kill this weed,and that would be a lot,and would take repeated sprayings,you would not be able to plant in that spot again for a while.
Laura

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 08, 2013 6:16 pm

Laura: Roundup is negated on contact with the soil hence you do not pollute your garden with chemicals with it's use. Sprayed foilage absorbes Roundup & is distributed throughout the plant's system killing surface foliage as well as the roots & is the reason it was & if still available so effective. However, to see what is currently available re systemics you might try Google or give a call to a Landscape Association as they would likely know & have good info. Incentive....the alternative is much work digging & screening. Good Luck.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Laura » May 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Lee ... you are right it is a lot of work to dig.I have read that roundup does not work well on goutweed.I don't use chemicals so I don't know first hand but everything I read says it just knocks the top down and it grows back up from the roots.The same thing happens when you cover it with plastic,it just grows back up when you remove the plastic (this I did try,put down plastic and the sun "cooks the roots") :lol: ... after two years I removed the plastic and in a week it was growing again.

Maybe it would be a good idea to contact a landscape company if you want to go the chemical route.Here these companies can spray a lot of things that a private citizen cannot.I don't know if it is like that elsewhere in the country.Like I say I would not go that way but that's just me.

Laura

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 08, 2013 10:52 pm

Almost every Province has a Landscaping Association & they are a better bet for information than is Landscaping Contractors. The latter are too eager, in my opinion, to sell their services rather than offer advice. I have never heard of any systemic that is not totally effective, however, my experience is limited to Roundup. Virginia Creeper got out of control in my yard one year & a single spray application ....end of problem. Grass invaded a creeping juniper. Kinda tedious but using a sponge brush I painted the stalks of grass....end of problem. When we still lived on an acreage grass got into a plot of saskatoon bushes & couple of crabapple trees. Sprayed the grass...end of the problem with no damage to the saskatoons or apple trees. Anyhow, you might also try the Horticulture Dept. of your nearest University for info. These people are usually very helpful.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby nini2ksg » May 10, 2013 11:47 am

thanks everyone for the information-definately NOT happy to find it is goutweed. While trying to pull some of it out, I found a lot of perennials hidden under all the leaves. So I don't want to kill off everything with roundup or a landscaping contract... but may have too and start over with a new garden in a couple of years! I thought I could just dig up the perennials and transplant elsewhere, but I am sure I will also end up transplanting the goutweed too.
nini2ksg

Postby Laura » May 10, 2013 7:27 pm

I did move a couple perennials from the goutweed here.I dug them and washed the roots off with a hose.Then I picked out every strand of loose stem and roots I could see.Then I put them in a bucket of water and washed the roots clean again.

You have to take some time but I had success doing it this way.
Laura

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas