Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Vertical Gardening

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Vertical Gardening

Postby LittleJackie » Jul 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi everybody!

I have been thinking about making a vertical garden at the end of my backyard. I want it rather cheap so I was thinking about making it myself. My neighbour warned that it isn't that easy, that she had tried it a couple of years ago, it didn't go well and in the end the whole wall fell. I have found this interesting DIY vertical garden guide and it doesn't look so difficult, so I think I will give it a go! 8)

Any advices?

Thanks a lot!
LittleJackie

Re: Vertical Gardening

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 16, 2012 6:17 pm

I found an excellent video on this on Youtube. If you search Garden Girl, she has a whole slew of videos and has one on this. She even shows how to build the vertical garden. It's not that difficult, I just didn't have time to do it for myself this year. She has some sort of TV show but I'm really impressed with how she gardens.

Hope this helps!
**Edited: Whoa, not the same kind of vertical gardening. I've seen these on the net with all the how to's but have never made one. I would be concerned at about how much watering it would take.

Diane
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby Gardenpather » Jul 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi,

You didn't say the type or size of the vertical garden you want to make but here is another great Youtube video about how to make the one they show on the Home Depot commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtzqRv3WYXQ

It will require some wood that you can probably reconfigure from some old pallets, plus a few other things. If you decide you would rather buy it than make it, www.verticalgardeningsystems.com has a lot of great products that are already made. You just need to plant them up.

Gardenpather
Gardenpather

Postby PaulineG » May 08, 2013 9:08 pm

Vertical gardening uses an assortment of support structures to help plants grow up instead of out, where their sprawl can take up a lot of space and leave fruits and vegetables vulnerable to diseases, scarring and garden pests. A garden filled with vertically grown vegetables not only produces more in a small space but can also camouflage unattractive structures, provide privacy and shade, and add interest to landscaping.
PaulineG

Postby LittleJackie » May 28, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks for your responses. The Home Depot video looks great. I want to try it that way.

I am thinking about making it about making "two walls", each about 250 centimetres tall. I still haven't got the time to do it (too many things were/are on my mind for last couple of months). But my biggest concern is - isn't a waste to make one "wall" facing north? I don't I have enough space to make it face west or south.
LittleJackie

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas