Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Greenhouse questions

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Greenhouse questions

Postby Aapoll » May 10, 2013 1:06 pm

I just finished fixing up the old greenhouse that was on our property. All forces were against me (contaminated dirt that I shoveled out, roots as thick as your wrist, it flooded when the frost came out of the ground, a flying ant infestation and mice) but I managed to get it all cleaned up and painted (green with white trim) it actually looks quite cute. I've never had a greenhouse before, so I don't really know what I'm doing. I have however been researching.

Its not heated and while the temps have been nice this last week, I live in alberta and the temps in my area are very unpredictable. It literally went from -7 to 23 overnight this year. Anyways I would really like to get some plants moved out there today, they are taking over kitchen table lol. Would it be ok to do that now? It doesn't get as much sun as most greenhouses since its only got windows starting half way up the walls and one side is completely shaded with trees. It gets really hot in there most days, but even on cooler days it gets pretty warm. I went out at 10:30 yesterday morning and it was 20 degrees in there. My concern is nights though. It's calling for 1 degree tonight, but its been averaging only 4-5 yet. Will this hurt my plants when I've been keeping them in my 20 degree house? I've got giant cucumber seedlings that are starting to vine out, that I would like to get out there because they are outgrowing their tiny pots, and since they don't like transplanting I only want to do it once.

Also would tomato plants do well out there now? Honestly me and tomato plants don't get along. I have been trying for 4 years to grow tomatoes and I've never gotten 1!. Anyways I'm determined this year, I started 7 different kinds and am prepared to buy if necessary lol. So far I've lost a tray of 16 (I think they were weak to begin with, they have been slow slow growing and not even half those seeds germinated) but I accidently forgot them outside when we went out for a few hours and they died off over the next 3 days. I have a few more that are about 3 weeks old and working on their 3rd set of leaves (although they are quite short). Can I move these out to my greenhouse? I am running out of window space inside. It's hard to keep rotating and some plants are stretching and their growth is being stunted.

Also should I wait to plant my pumpkins outside until all danger of frost has past (they are over a foot tall!) or would they be ok in a mound with black plastic over the roots and a clear plastic cover?

I also have some nice watermelon seedlings, I'm going to try 2 inside the greenhouse and 2 outside (with the plastic on the cooler days until they flower) odd but my watermelon seedlings are doing way better then my tomatoes. I also have some tiny pepper seedlings and some fine herbs. I need some experienced greenhouse people to help. I've been tending on my plants for over a month now and would be devistated if they died. The greenhouse isn't airtight, and when I was cleaning it out there was frost on the inside of the windows once (but I think it was like -20 that night)
Aapoll

Re: Greenhouse questions

Postby Jersm » May 10, 2013 1:32 pm

over here in new brunswick i planted 100's of seeds on the 1st and 2nd of may.

Sofar im flooded with seedlings im trying to thin down but transplant not kill them. I have some tomato seedlings that poped out they are just in the uninsulated patio+some sun trough the windows.

tons of letus, radishes, turnip all over the place and well carrots and parsnip take a a while.
also i checked on one bean plant and they are poping out of their shells sprouting out in a matter of days.

if all those 100's of seeds made it and are growing fine i think you are safe to acclimatise them

i checked this weeks weather and still not going under 4c at nights.
Jersm

Postby lilybulb » May 11, 2013 9:39 am

Fluctuating temps in a GH is a large problem.Learned that when I first got a greenhouse.Too hot and they will bake,and too cold they will be stressed.Petunias ,tomatoes,peppers are really cold sensitive and will yellow and possibly die if too cold.If plants are used to being at a steady heat in the house and are moved out, the greenhouse will need to be heated at night.
lilybulb

Postby Aapoll » May 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks for the info. I am pretty concerned about the temps in there because it gets really hot somedays (40 degrees when its only 24 outside) I can open 6 windows and the door but unless there's a breeze it doesn't do much. I guess all I can do is try something and see what happens really. I left a really weak pumpkin plant outside last night just to see and its still alive this morning even with a temp of 1.

I did however bring my strawberry baskets in last night just in case and the things were full of aphids! Never noticed until I woke up this morning to crumpled broccoli plants. I checked all my seedlings and killed them all, then rechecked a half an hour later and there was more! I went out and checked the strawberry plants then and the entire bottom of a few leaves are covered in aphids of different sizes. I pulled those leaves and stepped on them but there are still tons in the plants :( any tips for making sure they are all out of my house? My poor broccoli sedlings
Aapoll

Postby Countryboy » May 11, 2013 1:45 pm

I'm fussy abt setting things out. Once they"re out... they stay out! ;)

Maybe covered the odd time... but I've learned the dangers of bringing a host, accompanied by all it's acquired fauna, back into the house. Or greenhouse...

A good spray from a hose will wash off most aphids.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Plant Talk