Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

planting tomato

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

planting tomato

Postby JasonDunn11 » Apr 30, 2013 4:18 am

Just join today.Say hello to all. I am currently living in my home town of NY. I have a tiny lawn in front of my House. I want to plant tomato and some other things as well. Since starting this I have figured out there is a lot more to do before putting them in dirt and making sure they have the right amout of light and water lol!. I started researching how to best utilize my space.There's lots of grass and want to mowing it first i think. I Have a Honda electric lawn mower and its still work good.After mowing how can i start and which way is best for me need to know.Lots of question are waiting ? thanks in advance
JasonDunn11

Re: planting tomato

Postby Countryboy » Apr 30, 2013 7:55 am

JasonDunn11 wrote:Since starting this I have figured out there is a lot more to do before putting them in dirt and making sure they have the right amount of light and water lol!.

Well, actually... there's not much more to it than that. But creating that 'dirt', free of grass, from a lawn, can be a bit of work! And doing the whole lawn at once . . . even a small lawn . . could be a bit daunting.

Before u start . . . pretend you're a plant, and stand out in the sun on your lawn . . and see how much sun you're getting. That way u can find the sunniest spot on your lawn to start.

Then u start to break up the soil. Remove the sod first??? I have a rotor-tiller, so I tend to plunge in and till up everything . . deal with the grass later thru weeding. But honestly, there are many methods to this. Tara knows the CG site better than I so she may be able to find some pointers for u here. But it will involve a lot of digging, or garden-forking, to create tilth to a proper depth.

The only other suggestion I have for u, if u want to experiment without all the labour, is to plant in large containers. Fill them with some bagged soil, set them on yr lawn, and plant in them.

However u choose to do it, best of luck! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Jersm » May 03, 2013 8:56 am

this is my second year growing veggies, last year was great. this year im growing the garden about 3-4x bigger but i have no tiller so i do it all by hand. here is my steps basically for starting a basic garden with what you got.(not spending any money as muh as possible)

1. i use one of those cutting spade and cut manegable squares of sod that you plan on removing.(tillers can just till the sod into the earth if you can afford one) Image

2. I grab my 4 spike curved tine pitch fork and pull up all the sod squares by putting the tines in the cut and just pull the sod squares off like a sticker.Image

3. Once all the sod is gone this is when i put extra potting soil or anything else on the top and its time to till the earth and take rocks out with a normal 4 spikes pitch fork.
The first time you till the garden it will be filled with rocks (mine is) so i use the pitch fork to stab down 1-2 feet and remove all the big boulders and rocks the spikes hit.

4. once the sod, rocks and earth is tilled, you are left with a nice loose rocksless dirt great for planting veggies so their roots can spread easly and grow fast.
Jersm

Postby JasonDunn11 » May 11, 2013 2:48 am

thanks a lot countryboy and jersm. I prefer the way actually what you told me. I will ask what is next.
JasonDunn11

Postby Jersm » May 14, 2013 9:27 am

i opened up 2 new 20-30 foot long rows in the backyard. I took off the layer of sod on each now i'll be tillin the earth 1-2 feet down removing all big rocks and making the earth fluffy for roots.
Jersm

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening