Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What is the best ways...

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

What is the best ways...

Postby MissLee » May 18, 2013 3:03 pm

What is the best way to get rid of weeds all over the lawn, there seems to be about the same amount of weeds as grass! Also, theres a few ant hills on the lawn that I need to get rid of. Im a new gardener/lawn care person ... so I need all the help I can get! The joys of a new home that was never taken care of!
MissLee

Re: What is the best ways...

Postby Countryboy » May 19, 2013 7:31 am

Well the ant hills are the easy part 'coz usually u can just ignore them. If they create a 'hill', simply run your lawn mower over them to level them for mowing. The ants will cope, and they usually don't do any damage to a yard.

I don't kill weeds in my lawn. It's pretty much recognized that a good, healthy lawn will crowd out weeds . . . eventually. So I try to create the proper soil for the grasses with mulch. A mulching mower that continues with every cut to leave behind the small bits of organics that will build up over time to a good base for the lawn to thrive.

I suppose that Scott's Turf Builder *for one*, and other fertilizers, would help... but I've never taken the 'fertilizing' route.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Plant Talk