Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What happened to lawn?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

What happened to lawn?

Postby hedgehog88 » Apr 28, 2013 4:23 am

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and would like to get your input on what happened to my lawn. I hope I'm posting on the correct forum as I couldn't find many Canadian garden forum, specifically on lawns.

Before winter and snow made its way, I noticed my lawn starting to look like its dying and losing grass compared to what it was last summer. I have attached a image.
Now to be honest, I didn't take care of my lawn other than mow it when its long and water it from time to time. What makes this interesting is that only my front lawn looks like this but my backyard lawn is fine, minus the weeds.We did have construction guys working on our neighbors home but I don't think they would be the caused to such a large surface area, which is mainly the front end.

Anyone have any ideas on the cause? I would like to reseed it but worried it may be a soil issue and that seeding would be useless till I replace the soil.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. :)
Attachments
lawn.JPG
hedgehog88

Re: What happened to lawn?

Postby Countryboy » Apr 28, 2013 7:43 am

From the pattern of the die-off itself . . close to the road, close to the driveway . . . my first guess would be salt damage. So I'm gonna give u that as a possible clue, and a couple of links that should allow u to maybe investigate further.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/07227.html

http://www.organic-lawn-care-guide.com/salt-damage.html

Check these links and let us know if they might fit. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby hedgehog88 » Apr 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Thanks for the reply and links, will look into them. :)

Definitely a clue, however odd enough mine was only my lawn that had this damage, even my neighbours didn't have any damage...strange. My first thought was something underneath from maybe the city pipes must have killed it off because how it was only my lawn.

Maybe I may call the city to have someone check this just to be sure. I mean I can't and won't allow this damage to continue if every couple of years I have to reseed this area.
hedgehog88

Postby ari1 » Apr 30, 2013 3:52 am

I've seen similar lawn damage at my brother's home around this time of year a couple of years ago. It turned out to be grubs. Try using a shovel to dig a bit into the dirt and if you see white-larvae-looking bugs below the lawn, it's grubs. In my brother's case, we went to home depot and bought a grub-killing lawn spray comprised of nematodes that had to be applied several times along with lots of watering. Also bought grass seeds and threw them over the lawn along with a thin layer of peat moss. From what I remember the lawn looked great by June.
ari1

Postby hedgehog88 » May 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks, ari1.

Ill have to check that out too. Strangely though I believe it can be related to these holes i have random around my lawn. I'm convinced racoons or whatever are digging into my lawn to get these grubs. I'm not crazy to say they are connected right?

Still, such a large surface can be caused by these white creepers.
hedgehog88

Postby Countryboy » May 05, 2013 8:28 pm

hedgehog88 wrote:I'm not crazy to say they are connected right?

Nope! Not at all... :)

I couldn't see the damage in your pix as Grub-related. But 'Coon holes in the lawn, to me, are definitely a sign of an abundance of grubs.

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby hedgehog88 » May 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Thanks you both. I guess my next question would be what to do with that area. I presume I should rake the dead grass and loosen the dirt but applying some "grub out" spray or some alternative that I can pick up at like Canadian Tire or Home Depot?

After the kill, is it safe to add new soil and seed to the surface? Or should I be doing something to else to ensure this doesn't happen again?

Thank you in advace. :)
hedgehog88

Postby Countryboy » May 08, 2013 6:23 am

hedgehog88 wrote:I presume I should rake the dead grass and loosen the dirt but applying some "grub out" spray or some alternative that I can pick up at like Canadian Tire or Home Depot?

After the kill, is it safe to add new soil and seed to the surface? Or should I be doing something to else to ensure this doesn't happen again?

my 'caps' arm is in a sling for a while from some minor surgery. but i'll keep pecking away one-handed. lol

here's a link on dealing with grubs. seems like the university of rhode island would carry on for the summer and treat them when they lay their eggs in the fall.

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/whitegrub.html

best of luck...

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby hedgehog88 » May 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Hello again,

I thought I revive this post seeing that its like an on-going grass project to keep me on track to getting my lawn back to "greenie" order.:D Thank you all thus far in providing me with helpful replies.

So I have raked off all the dead grass from that large area, and yes, I found those little bugger grubs here and there during the rake. There probably still around unfortunately. :(

Now that I have a large surface of dirt ground what is the best way to approach in reseeding the area? Though I have raked the dead grass, the area is still untreated and am afraid reseeding will do nothing. I started researching and read things like grasscrab or insufficient soil mixing can result in no grass growing.

- What should I do with the current state of soil? Should it be treated to further kill any buggers before applying top soil?
- Do I need to mix the soil with top soil before reseeding?
- Do I need fertilizer before or while reseeding?

Thank you in advance.
hedgehog88

Postby Countryboy » May 21, 2013 7:59 am

hedgehog88 wrote:I started researching and read things like Crabgrass or insufficient soil mixing can result in no grass growing.

I've never seen grass seed not grow. That what it does naturally.
hedgehog88 wrote:- What should I do with the current state of soil? Should it be treated to further kill any buggers before applying top soil?

I think the link to the URI site recommends treatment in the Fall. It probably couldn't hurt to apply some now before u reseed.
hedgehog88 wrote:- Do I need to mix the soil with top soil before reseeding?

Probably not. Only if your soil is poor.
hedgehog88 wrote:- Do I need fertilizer before or while reseeding?

Rightly or wrongly... I never use fertilizer on a lawn.

Have fun... and best of luck! :)

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Plant Talk