Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

hard to find plant

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

hard to find plant

Postby Hypatia » May 22, 2013 2:47 pm

Hello,

I'm a newbie to the forum, and hope someone can give me some advice on where to buy a hard-to-find plant. I'm trying to get my hands on a plant we always called Moonflower when I was a child. Apparently, another common name is Yellow Dandelion-leaved Sundrop. The Latin name, as far as I know, is Oenothera Acaulis Aurea. A neighbour gave my mum this plant when I was a child. When my husband and I bought our home 10 years ago, my mum gave me some of these for our garden. Last year, my daughter decided to be very helpful and weeded the garden, ripping up every single Moonflower (the leaves really do look like dandelion leaves.) We used to have a tradition of sitting outside in the evening to watch the flowers bloom. I miss it, and my daughter is so sad not to have that this year. Would love to find some of these as plants (I'm hopeless with starting things from seed!) Does anyone know of a nursery that sells these, and would ship to Montreal?
Hypatia

Re: hard to find plant

Postby Countryboy » May 22, 2013 4:50 pm

I've not seen them before. What an interesting plant.

Searching around, I found a video of them opening. Now I want some! :)

http://canandaiguabotanicalsociety.blogspot.ca/2010/06/dandelion-leaved-sundrops-open-in-real.html
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby HeelsDown » May 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi!

Not sure where you are, but my Mom just bought this flower at a greenhouse in our area. It's in Mannheim, Ontario and the place is called Paradise. Maybe if not close, they might know of other places that have it.

It is very pretty!

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby CG admin » May 23, 2013 9:24 am

Adding these to my list, they're lovely!
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby lilybulb » May 23, 2013 10:02 am

I have had these in the past and even though you say you can't grow from seed these do it themselves.If you can find seed just plant and after they flower they will reseed themselves.They are extremely hardy,but just don't mistake the seedlings for weeds.
lilybulb

Postby LittleJackie » May 28, 2013 6:18 am

I think my grandmother had these.

Recently, my mother gave me some young petunias, she grew. What is great and special about them is that their blossoms are as black as a black velvet.
LittleJackie

Return to Plant Talk