Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Cinder block holes for strawberry plants?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Cinder block holes for strawberry plants?

Postby Knitwitch » May 25, 2013 10:06 am

I'm edging my roughly 2 x 20 foot garden strip in cinderblocks and am wondering if strawberry plants would survive if planted in the holes which are about 4 x 4 inches or so square. Anyone know? I'm in zone 5B in Northern Nova Scotia, btw.
Alison, in zone 5b Nova Scotia
Knitwitch

Re: Cinder block holes for strawberry plants?

Postby Jersm » May 25, 2013 6:09 pm

ive seen people do this before but with onions.

im sure they will grow fine.
Jersm

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Are the cinder blocks at least half buried in the ground to act as edging ? If so the strawberries should do fine. If however the blocks are merely sitting on the ground they will pick up a lot of heat from the sun & you will constantly be watering them to keep the plants from drying out.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Knitwitch » May 26, 2013 8:57 am

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, they will just be sitting on the ground , about an inch down from turf level. No insulation properties there. LOL I was going to use one of those moisture retaining container soil mixes but it will still be a dry situation. Thanks Lee. This year I'll stick with some annuals to attract pollinators and pretty up the patch. I always need flowers in my vegetable gardens. We've only been in this house 1 1/2 years so all of the gardens are new and I'm learning what works where in this site. I got to admit though, I'm getting tired of establishing gardens and then having to leave them and start again from scratch. Thanks again for the advice!
Knitwitch

Postby lilybulb » May 29, 2013 9:47 am

I grow mine in cinder blocks that are set on the ground.They form a rectangle and inside of it I filled with soil and grow carrots and lettuce.This works great and doesn't need any more watering than anything else.Some of my strawberries are the size of a dime right now.I used a great soil,triple mix,with a bit of extra compost mixed in.
lilybulb

Postby Knitwitch » May 30, 2013 9:02 pm

This is great information Lilybulb. My husband would really like to have berry plants!!!
Knitwitch

Postby lilybulb » Jun 01, 2013 7:37 am

Strawberry plants aren't fussy,you can also grow them in containers and hanging baskets.I have even grown them in a piece of evestrough supported on bricks,just to keep off the ground a bit.I like to line smaller containers with baby diapers to help hold some moisture.These do need a spot that is easy to water,because they will dry out faster.
lilybulb

Postby Knitwitch » Jun 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks!
Knitwitch

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas