Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Plant identification, please!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Plant identification, please!

Postby thetamecrow » May 30, 2013 11:56 am

Hello one and all!

I'm stumped and would appreciate any help in the identification of this plant. I'm very green when it comes to gardening and not in the good way, so to speak.

I received this particular plant from my step-dad about two and a half years ago as a housewarming gift. He received it even farther back as a gift, and gave me an offshoot of the same plant, so neither of us really know the TRUE genus of it. I regret to say that this is the only decent picture that I have available, and am moreso regretful to no longer have this plant. I loved it. He called it a 'prayer plant' but surely there are many variants and specific names to be found under this umbrella term.

This plant was kept indoors.. when in the presence of light, the three delicate leaves at the end of each stalk opened up in to receive it. In the evening/dark, the leaves would fold backwards from the supine position, though not tightly (can see a few in such a position in the lower portion of the plant). The leaves were of a beautiful burgundy hue, darker at the edges and more vibrant in the center. The plant, as a whole, was very delicate.

When it came time to move this February past, and after having it transplanted into a larger pot, the plant thrived for awhile before eventually dying. Where I lived at the time was tiny and not very beneficial for indoor plants.

I would love to find another one of these delightful plants, as I am in a place that is FAR more condusive to nurturing it. I would also enjoying knowing exactly what species this is so I can educate myself on it specifically.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. Have a good day.

- KC
thetamecrow

Re: Plant identification, please!

Postby Linda B » May 30, 2013 1:04 pm

It's an Oxalis.... specificaally Oxalis triangularis or Oxalis regnellii (there's some debate going on that the two are the same plant.. maybe !!)

It's also called Purple Shamrock. I have one two and love it. I get lots of compliments about it by work friends. It seems to be constantly in bloom too (pink blooms).

There is a green-leaved Oxalis variety too. It has white flowers.
Linda B

Postby thetamecrow » May 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Linda,

Thank you thank you THANK you! :D

This has just made my day. Thank you so very much for your response!

Regards,
KC
thetamecrow

Postby Linda B » May 31, 2013 8:58 am

You're most welcom KC ! Glad to help.

I should also mention that I find these Oxalis need to be kept moist. A bit of soil dryness and the leaves droop drastically. But they do rebound very well once given water.

If the plant starts to under-perform I found that repotting it with fresh potting mix works well. And be sure to dead-head flower heads with stems that have expired, or even dead leaves. I find that helps keep my plant neat and tidy, and encourages it to sprout more buds.

The plant grows from bulbs (not sure the correct name for them).... but they are these elongated rough things ! I find my plant doesn't really increase in size .. so I guess they don't spread (which makes sense if they're from a bulb. Or maybe spread really really slowly). So if you want more for yourself or someone then I suggest you buy another plant... I have seen them sometimes sold at Home Depot or Cnd Tire.

Linda
Linda B

Return to Plant Talk