Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Bishop's Goutweed - HELP!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Bishop's Goutweed - HELP!

Postby dulse » May 30, 2013 12:33 pm

Hello -- We recently moved into a new house in Montreal. The previous owners had planted variegated Bishop's goutweed in the front garden. The garden is contained, so there's not risk of the goutweed spreading outside the garden. But I'm wondering about the other plants in the garden. In order to sell the house, the previous owner also planted a few flowering shrubs (Little Princess and Magic Carpet) and there seems to be some other plants in there that I have yet to identify. The goutweed has really taken over the garden. I don't mind the look of it, but will it pose a risk to the other plants??? Is there a way to manage it?
dulse

Re: Bishop's Goutweed - HELP!

Postby Countryboy » May 30, 2013 4:44 pm

Well first of all, there's almost nothing u can do abt the Goutweed. Other than thank Dawg that it's the variegated type. The green is soooo plain. And the partial white adds some brightness to any shady area. I like it, actually. :oops: lol

I have grown plants up thru Goutweed in the past. They don't seem to take any harm and continue to come back still, 15 years later... along with the Goutweed. ;)

One tip with this groundcover... when *or just as* it starts to droop in the late Summer, take a weed whipper to it and it will quickly grow up to a nice, even carpet again. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Ian66 » May 30, 2013 6:47 pm

Best thing to do is dig it out.....get as much of the roots as possible.....then every time you see a new sprout above ground, pull the top off.....doing this, you will eventually starve the root.....
It will take you a few seasons to get rid of it, but I have done it for clients numerous times with success....
Ian
Ian66

Postby Countryboy » Jun 02, 2013 1:37 pm

True... I have gotten rid of small outbreaks of it myself thru meticulous weeding.

And this year I have a large old 'ferns and perennials' bed that, over the years, has become infested with the plain variety of Goutweed. The ferns basically crept out of the forest, thru a perennial bed, and out into the lawn. And the Goutweed came from somewhere...

This year I will till it, smooth it, and seed it . . . gaining abt 20 feet of lawn. Any remaining Goutweed roots will compete with the grass seed . . . and the lawn mower. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Plant Talk