Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Low lying perennial help

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Low lying perennial help

Postby joshua.ca.fournier » Jun 01, 2013 10:13 pm

Good morning.
My wife and I are trying to find a short perennial to use as a filler is our front garden. Full sun. We have lots of tulips and daffodils around the edges and an old park bench in the middle we can get to via a path. We keep using annuals but it costs a small fortune every year. We would like something green with flowers and no more than 6" tall. We have Dianthus I bought last year which worked great but they were label annuals but they bloomed most winter and came back for May. They were obviously mis-labeled so I'm not sure the kind and can't find d these ones anywhere or I'd just buy more.
Any help is appreciated
Thank you
Josh
joshua.ca.fournier

Re: Low lying perennial help

Postby conniepr » Jun 01, 2013 11:01 pm

What zone are you? You can get Dianthus that are perennial. We are zone 3b and I have some that survive the winters just fine. They are beautiful. Lots of different colors available. Some that look like little carnations. But there is also sea thrift that is like little tufts of grass that keep pushing out these little pink flowers all summer long (as long as you dead head), they are also great and perennial. There is also lots of good ground cover. Right now I'm in love with Scotch moss, beautiful fluffy green that flowers with these teeny white flowers each Spring.
conniepr

Postby joshua.ca.fournier » Jun 01, 2013 11:34 pm

We are in zone 5-6 hard to tell on the map we are kind in all the shades
joshua.ca.fournier

Postby lilybulb » Jun 02, 2013 12:00 am

If you are looking for something that flowers all season,I would think portulaca(moss rose) would work nicely.They are annual but will reseed,or you could save the seed and sow it in early Spring.The trouble with low growing perennials is they have a short bloom period and then are just green the rest of the growing season.Thay are also drought tolerant.
lilybulb

Postby conniepr » Jun 02, 2013 8:24 am

Here's a link that should give you some choices to consider: http://www.jparkers.co.uk/c-ig/ground-c ... als-025cm/
conniepr

Postby Countryboy » Jun 02, 2013 10:34 am

I've got four different steeply sloped bank gardens at my walk-out patio. In the past I've tended to use Periwinkle as a soil-holding ground cover. So one of them has the Vinca as a base cover.

Last Fall, on the next two I planted Sweet Woodruff just as an experiment. It seems to be spreading well so far. Hoping it gets enuf sun to flower 'coz, unlike Periwinkle, the fragrance is quite noticeable.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Vendella01 » Jun 02, 2013 10:10 pm

A good ground cover is Pachysandra, which is a lovely deep green, one that I particularly love is creeping Veronica Speedwell. it is a good filler with pretty blue flowers, it will flower off and on all summer. It also comes in another variety which has a yellow and green stripped leaf. All these are perennials. :)
Vendella01

Return to Plant Talk