Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Advice For My Sad Sand Cherry

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Advice For My Sad Sand Cherry

Postby RCmommy » Jun 03, 2013 11:15 am

Hello, I am posting my first topic because I need help with our 13 yr old sand cherry tree.

Last summer I noticed small brownish bumps all over the bark. I took a photo in to my garden centre and they identified it as scale. Never seen this before, EVER. I blasted the bumps off with our hose and then sprayed the tree with horticultural oil (Bug B Gone) which was rec. by the garden centre. I did not see the scale again until now. Since early spring I have been keeping an eye on the tree. Nothing until yesterday. There are those darn brown bumps again but this time I also see flat white marks everywhere as well. Well, on the bark not the leaves. The best way I can describe them is that they look like what you would say is a lice egg or nit. Gross. So I sprayed the tree again with the same oil but many of the bumps remain. The tree flowered and has leafed about half what it always has in the past. Some of the branches are now dropping at the ends.

I read about an alcohol mixture and rubbing the bumps off. Would that help? And what is the white nit like stuff? Is it the early stages and I just did not catch the scale in this stage last season?

I really don't want to lose this tree...
RCmommy

Re: Advice For My Sad Sand Cherry

Postby Ian66 » Jun 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Cherries have white lenticels on the bark, which are natural occuring on all prunus species....so be sure they are scales and not lenticels before treating...

Here is the formula to get rid of your scales....

40 parts water
8 parts of rubbing alcohol
1 part dish soap

Mix this together in a pressure sprayer and spray and soak the entire tree...
Wait 15 to 20 minutes and then wash off the scales with a garden hose...
Do not do this on a sunny day......wait until it is cloudy or late in the afternoon when the sun is going down....

You may have to repeat this at a later date to be sure that you have killed them all.

Ian
Ian66

Postby RCmommy » Jun 03, 2013 10:50 pm

I have attached a photo of an image that looks exactly like the scale on the tree. I will use your mixture to treat. My question is where does it come from? Also I have a Japanese Maple about 10 ft from the infected tree, can it transfer over?

I googled white lenticels and none of the photos look like the white stuff on my tree. I think there may be two things going on. I will attach an actual photo tomorrow.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.68 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
RCmommy

Postby RCmommy » Jun 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Okay, I found an image only that although not identical (maybe because I don't have a microscope) looks as near to the whit stuff as I can get until I can get an original.

When you rub it off, which it does easily, it is chalky or powdery.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (52.23 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
RCmommy

Postby Ian66 » Jun 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Yup...you have scales.....use the mixture I gave you to control them....generally scales are species specific and more than likely that specific scale won't infect other shrubs

Do not use horticultural oil on your Japanese Maple....the tree will not tolerate it and you will damage it rather than help it

Ian
Ian66

Postby RCmommy » Jun 03, 2013 11:29 pm

So, the white is scale as well eh?

I nearly did just spray the Japanese maple with the oil for good measure so I am grateful I did not!

I will treat the tree and hope for the best.

Thank you.
RCmommy

Postby RCmommy » Jun 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Hello again,

I have blasted the tree with water knocking off all the brown scale I could. I then treated the tree with the water, alcohol and soap mixture. A day later there were a few scales again. I sprayed the tree again with the tap at full blast and knocked them off again. I also pruned off a few branches that were sagging badly and had many scales on them.

I have treated the tree again with an insecticidal soap and today upon looking there are brown scales on the bark again. HELP!! Is this tree done, is it time to chop it down?

If it is time to chop it down, do I run the risk of whatever I plant in its place attracting the same scales? So far, nothing else in the garden has it, including my Japanese Maple.

What should I do?
RCmommy

Postby Jersm » Jun 12, 2013 2:48 pm

RCmommy wrote:Hello again,

I have blasted the tree with water knocking off all the brown scale I could. I then treated the tree with the water, alcohol and soap mixture. A day later there were a few scales again. I sprayed the tree again with the tap at full blast and knocked them off again. I also pruned off a few branches that were sagging badly and had many scales on them.

I have treated the tree again with an insecticidal soap and today upon looking there are brown scales on the bark again. HELP!! Is this tree done, is it time to chop it down?

If it is time to chop it down, do I run the risk of whatever I plant in its place attracting the same scales? So far, nothing else in the garden has it, including my Japanese Maple.

What should I do?

i did my own little search and "scales" are actually little bugs thats why they are popping back up they can walk some fly. their back is covered with a "scale" that acts as armor and you have a brown species thre are over 8000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_insect

further more if you type "scale insect" in google and go in images for the search you see many brown species that look like the ones you have.

if you can get them ALL off and eliminate the source and everything the tree should be fine.
get rid of scales:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVYyvB1s ... ature=fvwp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC--X1TycjY

they seem to say you have to cover the ENTIRE plant so theres no space for the scales to be on.

in the end, ent was right. :mrgreen:
Jersm

Postby RCmommy » Jun 12, 2013 4:35 pm

How do I know what the source is? - or rather how do I stop this scale from returning? I went over the tree with a very fine eye and even rubbed off scales still on the tree after I washed/blasted it.
RCmommy

Postby Jersm » Jun 12, 2013 10:07 pm

RCmommy wrote:How do I know what the source is? - or rather how do I stop this scale from returning? I went over the tree with a very fine eye and even rubbed off scales still on the tree after I washed/blasted it.

again i am simply collecting info and giving you what i find about the bugs.

from what i saw in the videos they just cover the entire plant so the bugs just dont like the plant and will not ocme back.

I suppose its hard for a tree so maybe if you kill with a pressure washer maybe? and make sure to cover all around the trunk of the plant AFTER washing so none crawl back up....

thats assuming that species doesn't fly back on.
Jersm

Next

Return to Plant Talk