Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Questions about gardening?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Questions about gardening?

Postby MountainDad » Jun 05, 2013 12:45 am

Is this a good place for me to ask questions about gardening this summer?

I have some kids and we tried to plant a garden last year, pretty simple stuff I thought (but I don't really know), and it turned out miserably. We tried peas, carrots, strawberries, bell peppers, spaghetti squash, tomato and mixed lettuce. We got two spaghetti squash that were reasonable in size, a handful of peas, and a less than ten small strawberries, and that was it. Everything else died a horrible death :cry:

We are going to try again this year. A little bit different, we have bush beans, radish, iceberg lettuce, spinach, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, potatoes, spaghetti squash, peas, onion and pansy's.

Our garden is very little, and that is intentional in hope that we can do a good job small, and scale up next year... assuming we don't flop again.

I already did two things differently this year: Used seedlings from the greenhouse store instead of growing from seed (except for the peas,beans,radish, potato and onion), and also I put in an automated irrigation system (rainbird) to drip water several times a day. I think we didn't water enough on the really hot days last year.

So since I don't have any friends that are successful gardeners, would it be possible to post my questions here this summer? I would really like to get a green thumb and be able to teach my kids how to grow a garden.

Other info, we live in Fernie BC, which is in the mountains and zone 5a.
MountainDad

Re: Questions about gardening?

Postby MountainDad » Jun 05, 2013 1:46 am

Here are some pictures of the small garden.

MountainDad

Postby Countryboy » Jun 05, 2013 7:09 am

I've been gardening for over 40 years.

In a new garden last spring we planted radishes, two types of squash, a couple of types of tomatoes, and probably some other stuff. *The grandkids picked it all out so I don't really remember.* The Squirrels got every single bit of it! :( lol

This Spring my grandson and I sowed two packages of Poppy seeds. It's been a month now and not a single one has germinated. :( lol

But best of luck with your garden! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby CG admin » Jun 05, 2013 9:35 am

Welcome to the forum! Please feel free to post as much as you want. We have some pretty knowledgeable forum visitors who are eager to help fellow gardeners. Best of luck with your veggies this year!!!
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby Laura » Jun 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Wishing you good luck with your garden.Just a hint about the strawberry plants,you should pick the blooms off the first season and establish your plants.Then next season they will put out more fruit.
Laura

Postby MountainDad » Jun 05, 2013 3:06 pm

It looks like I just learned something new, and so soon :)

I planted those strawberries new this year. I dug up the plants from last year before winter and threw them out. I didn't realize I could have left them planted over the winter!

Thank you
MountainDad

Postby Laura » Jun 06, 2013 6:22 am

Laff ... well this season keep the plants ... and if you get runners you can root them for future plants too.You should get berries from the plants for four years before they start to slow in production.
Laura

Postby Maridanie » Jun 06, 2013 10:16 am

Hi Mountaindad

Do you use compost? It's important to have an active microbial life in the soil that help to assimilate nutrient elements by your plants.
I also like to make intake of fertilizer seafood, that I buy here in Quebec, I do not know about your area.
But keep in mind that a rich soil will give you great healthy plants! :)
Maridanie

Postby MountainDad » Jun 07, 2013 2:19 am

Yes Maridanie , I put some composted cow manure in the soil. Do you think that is good enough?
MountainDad

Postby Maridanie » Jun 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Does your cow manure is aged for at-least a few months?
Otherwise, it may be too concentrated in nitrogen and instead of helping the plants, it almost kills them.
If it's old manure, it's perfect! :wink:
Maridanie

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening