Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Questions about gardening?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Questions about gardening?

Postby MountainDad » Jun 10, 2013 12:34 am

Yes it's old. I had it sitting in the garage from last year.

I used a fresh bag last year, perhaps that is part of the reason my plants didn't do well.
MountainDad

Postby Countryboy » Jun 10, 2013 8:21 am

U should have no problems from manure that's pre-composted and bagged for sale. It's certainly a safe way of adding nutrients to soil.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Maridanie » Jun 10, 2013 12:29 pm

I think this year, you will have good results!
Good luck!
:)
Maridanie

Postby Knitwitch » Jun 16, 2013 3:35 pm

It can be a challenge when new to gardening..it all seems so mysterious. the best teacher is trial and error and even some of us who have gardened for years can pull off a spectacular FAIL! from time to time.A great book to have as a resource is the Reader's Digest Guide to Gardening In Canada. As a noob I LOVED that book and wanted my own copy. Years later my dear Father gave me the Green Gardening version and I Love it not only because it was something that I'd always wanted (or close to it...this one actually thrills me MORE because I try to be as natural in my gardens as possible) and because my Da gave it to me. It gives just enough info to get you going and to point you in the right direction.
I second the suggestion of the fertilizing. Raised beds dry out way faster than in ground gardens and can be less fertile. Compost is your friend! And bone meal...and sea weed fertilizer........I think ample water is a great step in a better direction. :mrgreen: [color=#0000BF]
[/color]
Alison, in zone 5b Nova Scotia
Knitwitch

romaine lettuce

Postby mango » Jun 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Extra bonus I planted romaine lettuce last year and it reseeded it self. I am now enjoying some tasty romaine.
mango

Postby MountainDad » May 18, 2014 10:06 pm

Hello everyone! Thank you for the great advice last year. I had a good garden.

This year we are going to try to stick to what worked good last year:
- Cherry Tomato's
- Strawberries
And a new addition:
- Cucumbers

We would like to get carrots to grow, but every year they are only a couple inches long an really skinny. I don't know what is wrong.

Can someone please tell me if I need to trim away the old dead strawberry plants from last year? This is the first year I have left them planted to grow a second season.

These are the strawberries from last year, all the deal brown plants. Can I cut them off at the base of the stem to clean them up? I'm not sure if those sprouts are new strawberries or weeds.

Cheers
MountainDad

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening