Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Newly Extended Garden Under Tree

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Newly Extended Garden Under Tree

Postby conniepr » Jun 14, 2013 8:42 am

Just finished extending this garden. Originally, the owner had planted the Maltese Cross, a spirea and bleeding hearts in a line under the trees. The bleeding heart died one winter, the spirea never looked good, but the Maltese Cross are always nice to see. I have six helleborous planted under the hawthorne bush. There's a columbine under there as well. I've added a few other plants, as well as the bark mulch. This also helps protect the birch tree's roots that are so close to the top and I worry about damaging them with the lawn mower or our shoes.

Some free growing daisies were coming through my grass under the bush on the right side all the time, so I decided to incorporate them into this grouping of plants instead of trying to avoid running them over with the lawn mower all the time. You can't see them very well here as they are still only a few inches tall.
008b.jpg
conniepr

Re: Newly Extended Garden Under Tree

Postby lilybulb » Jun 14, 2013 10:02 am

Looks great!Nice when everything is muched and so neat looking.I am working on mine everyday,a few are coming along.
lilybulb

Postby CG admin » Jun 14, 2013 11:08 am

This might sound funny, but I like the size of the mulch chips. :D Everything looks so neat and tidy.
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby conniepr » Jun 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Actually, the size of the mulch has been quite a debate around here. I sent my husband out for the big mulch chips one year and he came back with small/medium size. I complained but used them. This year, I insisted, even though he and other family members don't understand why I want them. When we moved here, the previous owner had used them. I'd never gardened before and didn't know any different, but I found that the bark mulch really helped to keep down the weeds and the weeds that were there were so weak they were really easy to pull out. They also kept my cats out. When I used the truck load of medium size mulch, I found that my cats would move a thin layer of bark mulch out of the way to do their thing and the weeds come much faster too. AND, I find that working in the beds digging out or adding in new plants is easier too because there's less little bits to pull out of the way and replace when finished. So, there's my pitch. If you look close, you can see that I have both sizes in there.
conniepr

Postby IrasaiBradley » Jan 06, 2014 1:31 am

Wow nice garden idea and its looking good . Apart from water ,sun light is also very important for small plans and making small side wall for water and color with different color will increase life of this beautiful garden.All the best
IrasaiBradley

Return to Garden Gallery