Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Climbing Rose Fourth Of July

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Climbing Rose Fourth Of July

Postby Knitwitch » Jun 01, 2013 3:02 pm

I committed the grave sin of seeing the pretty picture on the tag and bringing home a rose without really knowing if its a good choice. Now everything I can find online makes me suspect that this poor thing doesn't have a hope in Hades of surviving the Nova Scotian climate. Anyone have any experience with this rose? WHY do places sell stuff that's unproven in the region? argh!!!!!!
Alison, in zone 5b Nova Scotia
Knitwitch

Re: Climbing Rose Fourth Of July

Postby conniepr » Jun 02, 2013 8:41 am

That is very frustrating. I live in Northern Alberta and I once contacted Costco to talk to them about their choices of plants to bring to our area. The guy said that every Costco in Canada gets the same plants, regardless of zoning. The choices are made at their head office and individual outlets have no choice. So... it's up to the buyer to beware unfortunately. My sympathies to you.

I wonder if the place you bought it from would take it back, considering the situation. Many places have a one year guarantee, although some of those places not only require the receipt but also require the original tag and even the pot it came in!
conniepr

Postby Knitwitch » Jun 04, 2013 9:08 pm

The sales clerk mentioned the one year warranty and said I would need the receipt. I think i've already lost that though.......
Knitwitch

Postby Knitwitch » Jun 15, 2013 8:20 am

The rose is doing beautifully so far especially since we've had ABUNDANT rain the last couple of weeks. Green glossy leaves and new growth. Now I have a "new rose" question: Many years ago I was told that I MUST remove all flower buds from a newly planted rose in its first growing season. Is this true? Should I do out there and clip off the flower buds that seem to be proliferating on Fourth Of July? Part ogf me says "Yes..this makes sense...focus the plant on root growth..." but the other part of me wants pretty pretty flowers.... What say ye, gardeners? Deflower or not?
Knitwitch

Postby conniepr » Jun 15, 2013 8:44 am

I've heard that too, and yes, it does make some sense, however, I've never been able to make myself do it. I don't have much experience with roses, however, my mom has bought at least six roses in the past 5 years. She never cuts off the blooms and the plants always survive (Zone 3). So, whoever told you that you MUST cut them off was wrong. That doesn't necessarily mean that doing it isn't going to help the plant.

Have you ever heard about the salt trick? A very experienced gardener told Mom to sprinkle 1 tbsp. of salt around under a rose bush once a month. Apparently, they like it! My mom does it now and swears it works.
conniepr

Postby lilybulb » Jun 15, 2013 9:01 am

Interesting about the salt.I was told epsom salts.I do this,but only early Spring,and mid season,they do well,but I am not certain if its because of this.Kind of silly to stop though,just in case.
lilybulb

Postby conniepr » Jun 15, 2013 9:26 am

Ya, actually, I believe it was Epsom salts they told her to use. I had forgotten that part. Good thing you mentioned it! Anyone else reading would need to know that.
conniepr

Postby Knitwitch » Jun 15, 2013 2:57 pm

I do epsom salts in all my gardening including the roses. After gardening I generally need a long hot soak with some in a bubble bath too. Good for the garden...good for the gardener!
I'm gonna leave the flower buds be. I can't resist! There appear to be a few clusters of buds (so exciting!). :D
Knitwitch

Postby conniepr » Jun 15, 2013 9:57 pm

Ahhh, yes, bubble bath... and/or Epsom salts. Do both, love both, I have an over size tub that I feel like a child in. :) Sometimes, my hubby brings me a glass of wine while I'm in there after a long hard day in the gardens. Oh, yeah!
conniepr

Postby Jersm » Jun 16, 2013 10:28 am

i have seen 2 trees being returned to canadiantire as "defective".

Even though i felt bad and i could see some new growth on the branches, it had to end up in the dumpster. :cry:
Jersm

Next

Return to Plant Talk