Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Small space hedges?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Small space hedges?

Postby daboss999 » Jun 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Hi there,

New to the forum and generally gardening as well. I have a question about planting hedges in a very narrow space. I have a fence along the side of my backyard and I also have a stone patio in my backyard (gravel and sand underneath).

There is a 19" gap of space(grass/dirt)that runs between the edge of my patio and the fence.

I am wanting to plant hedges all along that narrow space (it's pretty long, its just that it's only 19" wide).

Am I crazy? Are the hedges bound to fail? There is sunlight about half the day. Any recommendations on type of hedge? Is this possible?

Thanks!
daboss999

Re: Small space hedges?

Postby Maridanie » Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Do you have a preference for height? Because I would recommend you a Weigela hedge(which attracts pollinators) or Japanese Barberry or a Boxwood (which is handy because you can cut it over the width).
There is also the Japanese Flowering Quince which gives fruit in fall or spirea which has a beautiful inflorescence.

But if I can say my preference, I would go with fruit bushes, blueberries, currants, kiwi or elderberries! :P

Good luck :wink:
Maridanie

Postby Canadian Ent » Jun 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Boxwood because you can trim it to suit your space, although if you want it to grow tall so as to be a screen, boxwood might not be the right choice.

You might consider a row of cedars for a taller hedge (and I've seen them at Canadian Tire, Walmart, and other places for about $20 for a 3 - 4 foot tree).
Canadian Ent

Postby Countryboy » Jun 13, 2013 8:00 am

Or u could use your fence as a backing/trellis for vines or climbers like Roses or Clematis.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Knitwitch » Jun 17, 2013 10:29 am

Ooh I like the trellised climbers on the fence idea. That'd be so pretty in summer. Or maybe carpet roses? You never said how high you want this hedge and maybe a picture would help us with suggestions?
Alison, in zone 5b Nova Scotia
Knitwitch

Return to Plant Talk