Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

flower bed revamp help

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

flower bed revamp help

Postby shellondra » Jun 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi, am new here, live in Calgary AB. We have been in our home for 9 yrs but this is the first year I am really focussing on trying to improve the back yard. We have a very long flower bed that we have tried different things with to no avail. One end has a tree, the other has a very flourshing rhubarb and we have a hydranga plant in there as well. We had raspberry bushes for a few yrs that did well (too well) but we dug them up end of last fall. I have a rose bush in there that is dead and of course lots of weeds (esp since we have had so much rain lately.)

I dont want to just randomly plant things in there (dh suggested we just pop in to the garden center and 'grab some stuff', lol) but Im not sure how to go about planning it. I have read a few books and magazines but I find it a bit overwhelming and perhaps I am overthinking it.

any suggestions for a newbie?
IMG_0728.JPG
shellondra

Re: flower bed revamp help

Postby conniepr » Jun 18, 2013 8:09 am

Oh, there's just so many things you could do there. It depends on what you like, really. Going to a garden center is a good idea. Just look at the plants and just pick things you like. Keep in mind though how big the plants will get (read the tags!) and also be thinking about the bigger picture (do you, want to see lots of color when you look over that way, do you want low maintenance, etc.). If you want to see color throughout the seasons, you'll need to do quite a bit of research before picking your plants. That can be quite a challenge.
conniepr

Re: flower bed revamp help

Postby conniepr » Jun 18, 2013 8:38 am

Some ideas...
004b.jpg
Far left is delphiniums just getting their flower heads on top, won't see color for a few more weeks. Wild growing daisies in there, columbine (delicate small plants), gerbenia (large leaf green, flowering is finished), monks hood (flowers late summer), coral bells (the lime green small plants), there's a holly hock growing in bottom right corner that must have been a seed dropped by a bird), clematis vine growing up one trellis (mid-summer blooms), brand new climbing rose to go up the other trellis but isn't doing well yet)
005b.jpg
This one is a good example of not planning well for flowering. There are some flowers in there but the colors aren't showing up. Mostly everything will flower at the same time, the delphinium (tall bunches) and lillies (two types). I need something for contrast in here, like the large leaf gerbenia maybe. It needs something but I don't know what. Oh, day lillies might be nice in here too.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, you really should consider upgrading the soil. Add peat moss and good soil. I've been adding peat moss and potting soil and bone meal every time I add a new plant. Oh, and now I've been topping with steer manure bought from the garden centres and that seems to have been making a really big difference to the health of the plants, as well. And the bark mulch keeps down the weeds and keeps the cats out. :)
conniepr

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas