Feedback - Gardening Forums

Regarding Spam

We want to hear from you. Share your feedback and tell us what’s on your mind.

Regarding Spam

Postby soccermomof3 » Jun 24, 2013 7:47 am

It would be nice if the spam could be filtered out, but really, do these people honestly think I'm going to buy a kitchen unit from Britain, from some unknown website?!?! If they had any brains, they'd realize I'm going to buy from a reputable company in my own community!
soccermomof3

Re: Regarding Spam

Postby CG admin » Jun 24, 2013 8:14 am

Hello, I've addressed the kitchen spam issue with our technical team. I try to check in each morning to delete the messages if there are any. I can ban those users, but they just keep creating new profiles that sneak through our filter. Will address it again and see if we can work toward a solution.
Thank you for your patience,
Tara
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby lilybulb » Jun 27, 2013 10:12 am

Well I did a 24 hr watch on this situation and they are not sneaking through your filter,the fact is the floodgates are wide open.Let me explain.
Beginning at 8:30 AM yesterday (June26) I wrote down the number of members 64789.I then checked throughout the day and the numbers rose hourly.I checked back at 9:00 PM and the number of members was 64869.So in 12 and 1/2 hours there were 80 new members.You can tell by the user names these are spamers.
So with that said,I am posting this at 10 AM(June 27) and now the number of members is 64959,which is 170 new members in a bit more than 24 hours.
So of course this morning everything was spammed,as it will every morning,because of the high number of "members" they have,and it keeps going up by the hour.Sure you can ban the ones that post,but they have 100's more to keep this going.
This is just a heads up that someone has to close the floodgates. lol
Hopefully this helps with this huge problem.
lilybulb

Postby CG admin » Jun 27, 2013 10:24 am

Thank you lilybulb, I will add this information to the bug ticket I filed with our technical team. I have asked if we can get all new members to enter captcha information when they join. Captcha text are all those weird letters and numbers you're asked to key in when entering contests, etc. They help to gather legitimate entries. I'm seeing if this is possible with our forum. A recommendation had been made to have to enter a captcha before any post, but I thought this might be a huge deterrent for our users...
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby davefrombc » Jun 27, 2013 10:50 am

Entering captcha data may be a lot less of a deterrent to a lot of members than surfing around the spam to look for legitimate posts of interest .. The best way of reducing or nearly eliminating spam is to have members apply for approval before being allowed to join ... but then either the tech team would have a lot more work to do vetting member applications or CG would have to give Tara an assistant to help take care of approving members. The tech team should go through the entire membership list and remove all the obvious spammer joins and the long time members with zero posts.. That would give a much truer view of how many members the forum really has. Somehow I really don't see any of that happening .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Jersm » Jun 28, 2013 11:01 am

you simply need better protection when creating an account.

I find the best way is in order to sign up the person must read a question youcan change constantly and give an answer.

so like the secret question to make the account could be 55+30-23=?

bots as far as i know dont read and answer math questions.
Jersm

Postby Laura » Jun 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Really a shame the "tech team" doesn't get this corrected.It has driven a lot of members elsewhere and still it goes on.It has been continuing for way too long.

... oh and the font colors are gone .... :(
Laura

Postby Northpine » Jun 29, 2013 9:20 am

7 kitchen spams posts this morning alone. It's beyond ridiculous.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Countryboy » Jun 29, 2013 11:27 am

Northpine wrote:7 kitchen spams posts this morning alone.

All gone now. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby CG admin » Jun 29, 2013 11:29 am

As I mentioned, I've raised the issue with our technical team. They work on all the company's sites, so it might take a bit of time. Thank you to all those in this thread who have provided constructive feedback. I understand the spam is a nuisance, but I really don't think it's hard to find the real gardening threads among a few kitchen messages each day. I have been going in each day to delete them, including today which is the Saturday of my long weekend. So, I apologize if the spam keeps getting through, yes, it's frustrating, but I am the one who fields the complaints in this forum and I've had enough.
CG admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Feedback