Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Testing Soil Perhaps?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Testing Soil Perhaps?

Postby derekhamlet » Jun 30, 2013 4:56 pm

I live in Victoria BC. I like to grow vegetables for reasons to save money and the joy of eating my own food. I have been reasonably successful. Over the past five years the urban deer problem has become an epidemic. Fencing is not an economically viable option at this time. So while the politicians dither and the furry animal lovers express horror at some suggested solutions, I decided to build a greenhouse. It's built and does the things it is supposed to do. The deer steer clear. I brought in soil from a local supplier, put it in my raised beds and have watched plants I raised some seedlings in house sit there in the soil and do absolutely nothing. The outer leaves on plants like kale just turn yellow.
I used some manure tea and there seems to be no change. Looking at all the factors I can think of, my thought is that while the soil looks nice, it must be crap.
Ideas. Buy a soil testing kit, give up, worship the supermarket of choice and buy veggies?
All ideas greatly appreciated.
derekhamlet

Re: Testing Soil Perhaps?

Postby davefrombc » Jun 30, 2013 6:00 pm

It may be the leaves on your transplants are sun scalded. If you took your house raised seedlings and put them out in the greenhouse directly in full sun, the leaves will sunburn
They need to be acclimatized to the much stronger light. New leaves will grow that are able to take the sun, but the plants suffer a bit of setback from the transplant shock , plus the sun scald. They should recover fairly quickly and when they do they will likely grow like mad. I doubt the soil is the problem .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Re: Testing Soil Perhaps?

Postby Jersm » Jun 30, 2013 10:38 pm

yep i fully agree with dave.

You HAVE to "harden" your plants before you move them outdoors to the intense sun + humidity of a green house. Nothing can beat the intensity the sun has to offer to plants. Indoors its just a slight faction of the light and range of light.

Usually a good grower will harden plants in 1 hour series during a whole week.

days 1. 1 hour in sun
days 2 2 hours in sun
days 3 3 hours in sun
till day 7-8 by then you reach basically a full day.

some people will do 30 min increments each day to reduce damage.

the sudden change in climate and light source can easly kill a plant. some will take 1-2-3 weeks before they are fully healed and start growing normal. some cases they will even sacrifice leaf matter for their fluids and nutrients to support the over all plant.

seedlings are especially vulnerable to the sudden climate change and have no leafs to sacrifice.. seeds grown outside are already adapted to the suns rays and have built up defences.
Jersm

Return to Plant Talk