Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Clamatis (Cultivar)

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Clamatis (Cultivar)

Postby TBakerHR » Jul 01, 2013 10:01 pm

I have 2 Clamatis (I think they are the Cultivar variety). They have been around for a long time...since we bought the house 9 years ago. They were left from the previous owner.

Each year they grow quite tall and wide, but the flowers only bloom near the top...nothing below about 5 feet or so. Each fall I cut them down to about 3 inches or so.

Can anyone give me some insight or advice on what I might be able to do to make them flower further down the stems?

Thanks.
TBakerHR

Re: Clamatis (Cultivar)

Postby Ian66 » Jul 01, 2013 10:36 pm

First of all you should find out which cultivar you have and it will tell you which pruning method you should do for that particular cultivar....
There are 3 different pruning types based on the clematis you have....
Late flowering types like Jackmanii are cut down to the ground each fall
Mid Summer blooming clematis like Nelly Moser are not to be cut down, but cut back slightly to shape the vine
Early flowering clematis (most are bell shaped) are not trimmed at all (only slightly like the mid flowering types).....
Post a pic or go online to find the clematis that resembles yours and go from there.

Ian
Ian66

Return to Plant Talk