Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Knee High Sweet Pea

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Knee High Sweet Pea

Postby danarob » Jul 03, 2013 6:24 pm

I purchased a Knee High Sweet Pea this year. I've never planted it before, but have been told that they have beautiful, fragrant blooms. The plant is growing--the stalks are long and full but there are no flowers. There aren't even any buds in sight.

It's my understanding that they should flower in late spring, early summer. Is it just too early? I live in Mississauga, ON.

Any suggestions? Am I just being impatient?

Thanks!
danarob

Re: Knee High Sweet Pea

Postby Ian66 » Jul 03, 2013 6:34 pm

I'd be patient, it depends when the seeds were sown by the nursery.....so blooming might be delayed.

Ian
Ian66

Postby Jersm » Jul 03, 2013 9:13 pm

if its anything like sweet peas/sugar snaps.

i plantd my seeds in early may and they have JUST startd to make beans, the flowers startd to bloom not long ago.
Jersm

Postby conniepr » Jul 03, 2013 10:07 pm

My sweet peas are only now forming some flower heads. Actually, they seem to be early this year. Mine are more a late summer flower. I'd be patient. They should still come through for you.
conniepr

Postby Jersm » Jul 04, 2013 10:38 am

yeah it seems the sugar snaps must reach a minimum level before it starts producing flowers. Ive got a few that are shaded and still small no flowers while others that grew much faster are just starting beans.

i also planted normal bush bean seeds in earlymay and they are all about a foot tall producing flowers so beans soon.
Jersm

Postby lilybulb » Jul 04, 2013 10:59 am

As Ian said the maturity of the plant may be in question,and also if you are fertilizing you will see lots of great foliage at the expense of flowers.

Jersm,the Sweet pea being discussed here is not the veg,it is a flowering plant.Lathyrus odoratus is the Latin name.
lilybulb

Postby danarob » Jul 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Thank you, all, for your replies.

I have been fertilizing. That must explain all of the foliage growth that is happening, particularly over the last week or so in the heat and humidity we have been experiencing in the GTA.

I will try to be patient ... but I am so anxious to finally see those beautiful, fragrant blooms I have seen on this plant. :)

Dana
danarob

Return to Plant Talk