Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Do you remember The "Beachcombers" on TV.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Do you remember The "Beachcombers" on TV.

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 28, 2012 11:03 am

Bill, you can still dream, 86 or 100. 5000 men laid off all at once had to mean lots of competition for any available jobs.

It IS a beautiful area, but you wouldn't recognize Vancouver now, from memories then. (Then again, I didn't recognize Toronto, Ottawa, 25 years ago, either!)

I do not know about "simpler times" back then...every time brings its own challenges, yes?

You'll be glad to know that actual beachcombing hasn't changed much...get up really early following a good storm, and walk those beaches...you never know what you'll find!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby fernleaf » Nov 29, 2012 1:19 pm

I see there is a post here by a person who signs themself as "butterfly". Is this the original butterfly from Nova Scotia, Carolyn? We used to be reading lots of posts by her and then one day there were none. She would tell us of her cats and show pics of her garden. When we had an update or redo of the forum she seemed to disappear. We were all having a hard time trying to log back onto the Forum. I tried to look her up in her profile today but it gives me a line that says this user doesn't exist. How is it possible to post and not exist? Hope it is her, her posts were always interesting.
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me: I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." Albert Camus
fernleaf

Postby MareE » Apr 16, 2013 10:37 pm

Hey Fernleaf and everyone else!

I've been offline since Sunday nite (when allowed older bro to mess with my precious iMac LAFF!) and this and 2 other CG e-noteys had landed in my inbox this morning after a Bell tech had straightened out glitches re: conflicting Rogers and Bell modems.

Anyhoo, really nice to reread this thread. Carolyn M aka Butterfly is still Butterfly far as I know. ;o}

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby MareE » Apr 28, 2013 10:59 pm

Sorry about my last post, Fernleaf. Carolyn M is not Butterfly.

An overlooked [by me] till recent coincidence that both Carolyn's surnames' begin with "M". There was a discussion elsewhere all along!

My sincere apologies to both Carolyn Ms. I am/was woefully behind in reading Fence posts.

Blenderbrain MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Knitwitch » May 17, 2013 9:35 am

I used to watch Beachcombers, The Waltons, Barney Miller, and Carol Burnett with my Da. We'd be in his vinyl recliner, snuggled together eating canned baby clams with vinegar salt and pepper from a bowl with our fingers, and he'd explain things I didn't understand on the shows. Sunday night was a big TV night what with CBC's Wonderful World Of Disney on after supper.
You can still see re-runs of Beachcombers on APTN!!! I watch one a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how enjoyable I still found it. I also had a little girl crush on Jesse, thought Relic was nasty but funny, and admired Nick. I remember being confused by it all : American TV had beautiful people in their shows and Canadian TV had people that looked like everybody else!!!! How was this possible and WHY?
It was a great show. Aaaahhhh nostalgia.......
Alison, in zone 5b Nova Scotia
Knitwitch

Postby ZPC2THLgate » Jul 09, 2013 2:58 am

I do know that a large part of NS grows the most beautiful Blue Hydrangea I've ever seen!
ZPC2THLgate

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence