Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

It's raining again...

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: It's raining again...

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Jul 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Gotta add my 2 cents. If you think gardening is hard during your 40's & 50's just wait until your in your early 80's like me :D . I can tell you...don't stay in your house until it is more than 20 yrs.old because everything ages right along with you & you better be handy at repairs or spend your retirement funds hiring somebody to do the work. Anyhow things planted with great enthusiasim have a habit to come back to haunt you...especially trees. 5 yrs. ago we had 5 trees removed from our back yard alone. Those things grew to the point that no sun made it to the flowerbeds. What a difference. One of the trees was a Maple & we left a 18" stump on which to set a flower pot. That stump sprouted like no tomorrow & has now become what I call my Maple bush. It is 6ft. tall with a spread of 5ft. where I prune it to keep it to these dimensions. It is better looking as a bush than it ever was as a tree. The other removed trees were a May tree & 3 silver maples. So be careful what you plant or plan on moving every 5 years or so to new digs leaving the yard & house overhauling to someone else. :mrgreen: .

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Knitwitch » Jul 14, 2013 5:23 pm

True words, Lee!! :lol: Its been real summery here the last two weeks. We had a heat wave but then the humidity eased up and its been great since then. The gardens are coming along...peas are blooming, beans are vining, tomatoes getting blossoms, and cucumbers are starting to get growing but not enough to be trellised yet. I have to water out there tomorrow if no rain. My 4th of July rose is still looking great, blooming and getting new growth, my bee balm is blooming along with the garden loosestrife. I think I need to rethink the loosestrife. Its already out grown its spot so it needs to be moved next year. My coreopsis are in full bloom, my Amber rose has taken off well too. I still haven't gotten around to laying all of my mulch or enlarging the front flower bed though. OH and my lilies are about to burst into bloom. They are almost 4 feet tall! Way taller than expected and taller than they were last year so they have to be moved back. Happy July gardening everyone!! :D
Alison, in zone 5b Nova Scotia
Knitwitch

Postby conniepr » Jul 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Oh, I know about the trees, Lee. It was an older couple that built and owned this house. They planted WAY too many trees too close to the house and WAY too many trees in the back yard. The first tree I removed was an apple tree that was doing poorly and I could only think it was because it was completely in the shade from a taller birch and mountain ash (and huge pine tree) all planted within 10-12 feet from the house. The pine tree went in a windstorm, along with a smaller birch and a bunch of others further out. Then I had to remove six mayday trees because they were diseased (black knot) and were all planted WAY too close to each other. Even an inexperienced gardener like me could figure that out. And I have a very small yard! Well, maybe not City small, but small for a town sized lot.

Gardening at 80.... yikes! I don't think I'll be in good enough shape for gardening at that age. Dave and I know that we will probably only be here for another 10 years and then (if we are lucky and in good health) will buy a townhouse where someone else does the upkeep! Now that's the life!
conniepr

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Jul 15, 2013 12:36 am

Conniepr:

From my experience with the May Tree when we had this species should not be planted within a City's boundries. It will for sure become infected with Black knot & from there spread to any fruit or berry bearing trees or shrubs. On top of that it has a trashy habit of sending up sprouts from it's spreading roots. I didn't know that 20 years ago when I planted it. Another species not to be nurtured on a city lot is a popular. Their roots run laterally instead of forming a ball like the birch. The lateral roots of a popular are large & will break-up driveways & cause much damage to basement walls. My sister's neighbour in Luseland Sask lined his property with populars one of which was 5 ft. from my sister's house. A root cracked her basement wall and moved it enough that the main beam holding the floor joists ended up protruding from the wall approx 3/4". Fortunately she had many freinds in the town and one bought in a backhoe , dug down to the root & tore it off. Then he made repairs to the basement wall & then backfilled the hole. So you see, some thought must be given as to the type of tree before planting.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby conniepr » Jul 15, 2013 7:27 am

Wow, that's aweful! We have been worried here about our basement foundation, as well. There is a 50-60 foot spruce at one corner of our house no more than 10 feet away from the house. We've recently found out we have a wood foundation. We've been planning on having the tree removed, which is quite a task to do as the neighbour's house at that corner is only about 20 feet away and there's another huge tree in the way, so the Spruce can't just be dropped towards the street. Each year we hesitate because of what it will cost to have it carefully removed... but there's also the worry that if the roots have entered the basement foundation, pulling it out would then create a place for water to enter. What to do, what to do?
conniepr

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Jul 15, 2013 1:57 pm

If it were me I would talk to a bonafide tree remover. It is probable that he would firststart by topping the tree, then continue down by removing sections until the last one can be removed safely. He would then likely grind out the stump. Whatever you decide will be kinda pricey ..... damaged basement with the tree still there or removal of the tree. Not much of a choice is it ?

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby conniepr » Jul 15, 2013 10:11 pm

Well, we've had very little mildew smell in our basement, so we're thinking we're okay, but... we've been told that (1) if the tree hasn't damaged the foundation yet, it's not going to and (2) if we cut the tree down to the height of the house, it will stop spreading roots. That's what I would like to do, but... each year, we hesitate and then the summer is over. I think both my husband and I are leaving the decision up to the other, because we don't want to be the one making this decision!
conniepr

Postby Jersm » Jul 17, 2013 10:01 am

yeah ive heard about this on TV watching holmes on homes.

he said trees roots on average are 2x wider then the tree canopy. they were doing a house that the roots got into all the old plumbing of the house so they had to jack hammer all the foundation away and add better new piping that wouldn't get damaged by roots.

then seal it all back up with a new cement floor.
Jersm

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Jul 17, 2013 11:45 pm

Hi again Conniepr: I think the advice you have been given is pretty good because a Spruce does not have lateral roots like a poplar but instead forms a ball like a birch. With most trees, the root ball eventually spreads out as far as the tree drip line. If your spruce has limbs that protrude out & over your home & with a wood basement to my thinking, you should at least take a pic and visit a professional. If there is a Horticultural Society in your locale they may provide you with enough information on which to base your decisions as to the future of your tree.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence