Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Bio Char

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Bio Char

Postby erins » Jul 16, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi, I'm new to any type of forum but I recently learned of Bio Char and it's AMAZING soil enhancement qualities as well as the good it can do for our environment. I feel compelled to ask....has anyone else hear of this stuff? If not, why not? My husband, being a mechanically inclined kinda guy, has already built a kiln, has produced bio char and started lettuce. They sprouted after 3 days!!!! Anyways, I really am just trying to start a conversation about this ancient yet relatively unknown renewable, carbon negative soil additive. I see we can buy it from the UK, anyone know if we can in Canada? Let's talk
erins

Re: Bio Char

Postby Jersm » Jul 17, 2013 9:57 am

you just taught me about something new today.

ive just used the soil we have in the backyard, i found about a foot down or less theres is a thick layer of oranic matter like 2-3 inches under the soil. must have been some epic event many ages ago or its part of the bottom of the ocean ....

either way i might look into this more making my own that is.
Jersm

Postby erins » Jul 17, 2013 10:36 am

Cool, I'm up for learning something everyday so I'm glad I helped:) Bio Char is a charcoal made from high heat and lack of oxygen. It has been found in the Amazon and that very fertile soil, surrounded by useless soil, is called terra preta. it's 3000 yrs old and the effects of the char added is still seen. The coolest thing about char, other than the gardening bonuses(fertility,water retention,nutrient enrichment), is the fact that it keeps carbon from going back in the atmosphere. They say that by creating and then digging char into the ground (agriculture, gardeners, golf courses, potted plants, etc), we can reduce carbon emissions drastically. I have been doing alot of reading....there is alot of info out there, but i still don't understand why most people don't know about this. Why isn't government doing something about this???
Our lettuce is doing great. We planted 9 seed trays, of varying mixture...go figure Char plants are thriving and the just soil have not yet sprouted. Plus, the char blend does not need water, as char holds the water....the soil/compost mixtures need to be watered. I see sooooo many bonuses to using Char....a good website...www.biochar.net
erins

Postby erins » Jul 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi again, i guess I'm confused. I have over 200 reads but no one is talking with me about this. I sooo wanted to hear from people who garden about this. Any thoughts? Please...this is not a forum if I'm the only one talking....and I talk to myself (and my plants) enough already :)
erins

Postby Ian66 » Jul 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Well I have been a professional gardener for over 30 years and I have read about various soil additives and amendments claming how wonderful they are etc.....some of which maybe true, but good old compost and leaf mold has done my garden (and my clients) well and the best part of it is its free......just start up a compost heap and away you go.......no need buying Bio char......

I also suspect that you have an interest in this ($$) or a salesperson for this company.

Ian
Ian66

Postby erins » Jul 24, 2013 12:15 am

Hi Ian, Thank you for your comments. Now I understand why nobody was talking to me. I did not mean it to come across that way. Please let me try again.

I do not work for any company (stay at home mom). My husband is studying Alternative Energy Technologies at NAIT and came home with a book one day that really, really made me think. It made me think I, little ole me, could do something about our planet's well being ,and water less in my garden and increase my yield.3 Yipee's! I am a farmer's daughter who has worked the land all my life and truly respect my compost pile and my chicken poo brew, but I drive a car, heat my house, turn on lights, which does not show respect to the planet-so to speak. I'll buy Char from the UK if I have to, because I want to do my small part in reducing MY carbon footprint....all the while, treating my soil well so it will treat me well.

Since the book inspired more reading (and there is lots out there), I really wanted to know why I'd never heard about this carbon sequester soil repair kit and hear if anyone else had heard of it..so I asked.

Erin
erins

Postby CG admin » Jul 24, 2013 9:33 am

I imagine that maybe bio-char isn't something that our forum members are using. I haven't come across it either, but your post compelled me to do a little Googling to learn more! :D
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby erins » Jul 24, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks for goggling...that's all i really wanted. The world needs to hear about this. I am only one person but I am attempting to get the word out. Third world countries, with crappy soil use a kiln and add char to their soils just to eat. We are lucky that we have good soil and the $$$, know-how and ability to keep our soil happy and healthy. It may not be needed here, but I want it. Thanks for commenting.
erins

Postby Jersm » Jul 25, 2013 7:57 pm

hehe i find a lot the people under estimate soil thats not bought from the store.

also i think the majority of the time its due to bad climates (no water)/bad living conditions over bad soil.
Jersm

Postby erins » Jul 27, 2013 5:28 pm

I am learning so much about forums.....it's not what i think it is, plus, I never know how someone is going to read my words. Here I thought I was doing a good thing by talking about Biochar, but it appears, I've been heard as a pusher to buy. I personally do not buy my soil, I work hard at keeping it fertile by adding compost, green manure and other manures. However, none of these things reduce carbon going into the atmosphere. More reading....it does appear that Biochar works best on poor soils and in areas where there is little rainfall, it would be a godsend. I am no soil engineer but from what i read, the holes in Char allow all forms of soil life to thrive..fungi, mychz....????, bacteria. Again, for me, even if I have to buy this product, which i now won't because of the kiln my husband built, I would be happy with how I chose to spend my money. I will be doing my small part for mankind :) cheezy but true.
erins

Return to Plant Talk